copperhead

helenh(z6 SW MO)July 16, 2008

I have a plastic bag by the back door on a nail for aluminum cans. I was putting 5 or 6 in this evening when a copperhead that was there by the door got scared and came in the house by my feet. Fortunately he was slipping and not getting good traction on my tile floor. I slammed the door closed and saw him no more. I am hoping he is out. I went out with the flashlight and didn't see him outside either. I am not totally positive that he is out, but I think he must be. THIS IS A FIRST FOR ME.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

Oh, Lord! I don't think I could stay in the house! We got a snake inside once and for months I couldn't leave my feet on the floor when sitting in my easy chair.

I would pick up every thing sitting on the floor and move all furniture just to be sure.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 5:57AM
jspeachyn5

Oh no. My thoughts will be with you. I agree I would be so worried I would be jumping from chair to chair until I knew it was gone. Yes I know what a sight that would be, because I did it with a mouse a couple of times when my children were growing up. They all got a good chuckle out of that. Mice terrify me. Had to work in an old chicken house a few times growing up and was "crawling with them". I soon got out of that from having nightmares.
Bonnie

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 10:02AM
proudgm_03(6 MO)

Oh my! I do hope he went back out but I wouldn't take any chances. I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew he was gone. I've had them in the yard but never on the porch. Although I did try to do the crocodile guy thing with a black snake once that was on the porch. Not recommended! All I did was piss him off.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 11:45AM
bunny6(7 AR)

Having a snake in the house is my worst nightmare. I am very scared of them. I had a copperhead on my porch a couple of years ago which is flat concrete even with the ground, so a snake can easily crawl on to it. I made my husband chase it away. I wouldn't go near my compost pile for a month, because I thought it might be in it. I live in town. That is the only snake we have had in 15 years of living here and I hope it is the the last. I would be freaking right now!
Ann

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:10PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I am going to weed eat today all around the back of my house. I will clear everything off that back concrete pad and put my aluminum cans somewhere else. I never thought one would try to come in the house with me standing in the doorway. I think he was under the bag of cans and the clinking noise they made when I put the new ones in scared him. I took my eyes off of him when I closed the door and the door closing blocked my view so I didn't see where he went. I think if he were in the hall, I could have seen him and mental illness made me imagine he could still be in. I am still looking under things though.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Craft fairs
I will have company visiting the week of Oct. 14. They...
helenh
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™