Tiger Swallowtails

gldno1August 18, 2010

Yesterday I had not one, but two flying around the phlox most of the afternoon.

This one has lost part of its swallowtail. From August 2010

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

He's pretty even with a bit of his tail missing.
I have lots of butterflies in my yard but never see them visit my phlox. Mine must not have any nectar. I have David and seedlings from David but no other varieties.
Does yours have a name?

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 8:17AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I have the common magenta ones - seedlings not named varieties and they are black butterfly favorites. Also in my butterfly book lots of black butterflies have the half moon shapes not just spicebush. I should walk in the woods and look for the caterpillars. I have lots of black butterflies but I don't really distinguish between them.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:11AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Glenda thanks for the photo.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 11:13AM
gldno1

This clump is Robert Poore. Right now it is the main one blooming. The other named one had mildew so bad I cut it to the ground and it may not bloom this year.

Don't either of you buy any. I can get you starts from my large clump. They should be thinned anyway. I think spring is the best time to do it. Please just remind me.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 7:43PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I'd love that Glenda. I need to box up all my David volunteers and send them away. They're nice plants because they don't get mildew but I'd rather have one that attracts butterflies and doesn't mildew.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 7:49PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I think butterflies would be on your phlox if you didn't have the zinnias. I don't have any zinnias at all.

Bookmark   August 18, 2010 at 9:49PM
gldno1

Helen, I do have a row of cactus type zinnias across the garden, but not that gorgeous red like Christies. Maybe that color is the draw.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 5:50AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

It could be that having a big patch of a single color instead of assorted colors gets their attention better. I have a couple packs of purple zinnias that I bought for next year. We'll see if they like those as well.

My bronze fennel has gotten almost out of hand and Black Swallowtails like to feed on that. I've found quite a few caterpillars on it. We had Queen Anne's Lace in the field too (until we baled it). I may just have more swallowtails than ever this year.

But - I hardly ever see a Tiger Swallowtail and I know I have host plants for them. I must not have what they want.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 7:27AM
gldno1

I cut my out of control fennel all down except one stalk...later laying on the ground I saw a tiny caterpillar. I guess I jumped the gun.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Merry Christmas!
First winter and first Christmas here in Bella Vista...
sharbear50
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™