My watermelons must've been closer to ripe than I thought. : (

christie_sw_mo(Z6)August 17, 2009

I checked my garden Sunday evening and something had stolen two of my Blacktail Mountains and one of my little Sakata's Sweet. : ( They were completely gone except for one little chunk of peel from the SS. I found another melon (Orangeglow) that was detatched from the vine and brought it in. Only the very middle was edible and even that tasted like it wasn't ripe yet. What a waste!

I wish I had hydrated lime or cayenne pepper to try. I went back to the house to search and found Taco Bell Fire sauce and white pepper. lol Hope that doesn't make them taste even better. I didn't have anything else. When it gets light enough, I'll go look to see if they're still there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

christie, I feel your pain and anger! I have hydrated lime in the barn and will spread some today.

What an aggravation. I can't imagine the entire melon being gone. What could do that except a two legged varmint?

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 7:26AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

The Blacktail Mountains were small, about the size of an average canteloupe (not as big as the Athena Canteloupes that have been at the grocery store lately) so maybe a raccoon or something could carry them off, I don't know. I don't think it was a person, unless they knew how to tell when they're ripe. The Orangeglows are bigger and I think they would've taken those instead.

Nothing more disappeared overnight. Yay!

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 8:10AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I also think it unusual that the whole melon was gone.

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 7:17PM
gldno1

I checked mine first thing yesterday morning; so far, they are safe and no more rotten ones.

Something is still eating the ripe tomatoes though.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 6:04AM
More Discussions
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Hello Everyone!
Well, I've been away for 8 years but am finally back...
fourseasons_2
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™