Sagos water wise?

vp_78January 19, 2014

We have a sago that we inherited when we purchased our house. It's about 3 feet in diameter. Unfortunately it was planted in a very awkward place and we need to move it. We actually need to re-landscape since the house was purchased as a short sale and much of the old landscaping didn't survive that process, and we want to create a water wise, drought tolerant plan.

So in light of our new plan, can anyone tell me how drought tolerant a sago is? I've read that they need regular watering, but is it a lot of watering? We have friends eager to take our sago if we decide not to use it so even if it won't fit in with our drought tolerant garden, it will go to a good home!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
islandbreeze

Sagos don't need a lot of water, but they need more than cactus too. I guess I'd put them in the low to average range on water needs. Are you in Florida or California? If Florida, you probably won't need to water a lot.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 7:26PM
subtropix

Approximately, where on the planet are you located. It makes a difference.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 8:44PM
vp_78

I'm in San Diego. Sorry, I almost always remember to put my location, but not this time!!!

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:39AM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

It would thrive there, nika107. To make sure you won't water it too much, and to make its roots rot, it's better to water it rarely. I don't have a Sago (Cycas revoluta) currently, but I water my other cycads once-twice a week now,that they're in the greenhouse and whenever is very hot and dry outside if they are outdoors, and 3-4 times a month the rest of the time (spring, fall). I also use moisture meters to be sure I won't over-water them, and I wait to be almost on red before watering.
I live in Socal, IE, forgot to say. :)

This post was edited by SagoLover on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 13:08

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 1:22AM
vp_78

Thanks for the info! I think we'll keep it then. We dug it up late yesterday afternoon and put it into a container. Can it live in a container for awhile? It looks so pretty...

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 1:26PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

It surely can. It will keep that size and not grow much bigger. Depends on the container though. Later on, you can move it in a tree box/planter if you want it to still have some grow.

Another forum where cycads are discussed:
http://allthingsplants.com/forums/view/tropicals/

And THE forum for Cycads lovers, where all experts and postings are only about cycads:

http://cycadfriends.co.za/index.php

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycadfriends

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 6:01PM
vp_78

Thank you for that info!!! :)

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 7:27PM
sagolover(10a SoCal)

Yw nika! Hope it will help. :)

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™