Japanese Holly revivable?

annld(6B PA)June 30, 2006

I recently planted some Japanese holly shrubs, and two of them turned brown after about a week. Is this normal? Is there a chance that they'll make a comeback, or should I take them back to the nursery?

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

No not normal. If you can take them back and get replacements it might help. Often shrubs will have some transplant shock resulting in some wilting but if they are all brown after only a week, something else is amiss. Did they maybe get flooded with all the rain that many got the past couple weeks?

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 1:50PM
annld(6B PA)

I wondered about the flooding myself. Now all four of them are brown and browner. Definitely something wrong. I hope I can find my receipt...

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 6:27PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

If they had been established for a couple years and did that, then there would have been a good chance that they could resprout. But it sounds like the roots may have been damaged. You could dig one up and see what the root ball looks like. Sometimes if the plant was very rootbound, water can't penetrate so you think they are getting water and they're actually not and you'd see the same problem.

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
Any bear sitings or tracks in the mud?
My friend cleared her back yard out to build a garage,...
poaky1
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™