More new blooms this year

christie_sw_mo(Z6)August 16, 2013

I started Echinacea Powwow Wild Berry last year from seed but didn't get to see them bloom until this year. The color is brighter and darker than native Echinacea. They won a AAS award so hopefully will be good bloomers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Got to see these bloom this year too. It's Swamp Milkweed that I start last year from seed. They seem to be loving our rainy summer. I only had one survivor from my Purple Milkweed seedlings and it hasn't bloomed yet.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 8:58AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Both are beautiful, Christie. You are patient to grow them from seed. I think you might get better plants that way. My purchased Echinacea mostly died. There is a disease they get and I think mine possibly had it when I purchased them.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 10:23AM
gldno1

Congratulations Christie. I used to do that too and need to get back in the groove. I only have one wispy white echinacea left and no swamp milkweed at all. This should have been a good year for that last one!

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 8:48AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Christie, that Wild Berry is so beautiful. Wish I had room for Milkweed, as I do love butterflies.

Your success with growing from seed inspires me to try it again. I have much more luck from cuttings, but realize it's not smart to have all these heirloom tomatoes and not save the seed for next year. Keep insiring me, please!
Sunny

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:27PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I accidentally let my swamp milkweed go to seed. I noticed yesterday the pods were split and the seeds had already blown away. I don't think it would be as likely to come up in our hayfield as common milkweed though. I DID collect the pods off of those before they could split. It's way too aggressive and I don't want any more than I already have.

That's my shed in the background behind the swamp milkweed. It gets pounded with water running off the roof when it rains. It's happy so far.

The PowWow Wildberry plants that I saw at Lowe's last year looked diseased. It's hard to tell because I think they're are different things that can cause them to have deformed blooms but I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to Springfield Seed?
Not sure that's the right name but the one that was...
christie_sw_mo
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
looking for certain pepper
Howdy, Ozark gardeners. I am looking for seeds of a...
strongeagle
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
Sponsored Products
Alliyah Handmade Purple New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Complete 230-piece Mobile-Shop Tool Cart
FRONTGATE
Lenox Platinum Ice Saucer - 813559
$20.95 | Hayneedle
Red Module red-module-5050-3 LED Module
EnvironmentalLights.com
Fan Flower Tablecloth 70" x 108"
$132.00 | Horchow
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Blue 6 ft. x 9
Home Depot
White and Gold Holiday Ornaments Rectangular Throw Pillow