Did you get rain?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)August 5, 2010

My weatherdog woke us up early this morning to let us know there was thunder in the distance.

I think most of it missed us but we did get 2/10. That's better than nothing. Hoping we'll get another shower.

My yard had not been dry at all until this week with the 100 degree temps. That dries things up in a hurry and it's too hot to get out and water.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tavy(6)

Right this minute, YAY, RIGHT NOW IT'S RAINING! It was 106 yesterday with little hope. I don't know how long it will last but every drop is appreciated! Have you gotten any more since this morning?

My new baby rhubarb didn't make it. :-( I guess it was just too hot for it. I'll try a different variety next year. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 1:14PM
gldno1

We got some rain earlier; I haven't checked yet how much. We needed it badly.

I have a pot of Chipman's Canadian Red Rhubarb still in the pot that I have kept partly in the shade and kept it waters...still alive. I have lost so many plants I almost gave up but couldn't resist this healthy one from the feed store. I don't think I will plant it until the cooler weather of fall.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 3:48PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I got .9 inch and I really did need it. It has been a couple of weeks since I got rain. The weather man kept saying we could have pop up showers so I didn't spray my tomatoes. They never popped up until today. The tomatoes I got this week were ratty looking compared to last week. I had a crisis and still feel a little shaky from it. Annie was missing. I thought the worst and looked along the road for a little mangled body, but no Annie. I had already looked in the house, but did not see her. I didn't miss her until about 7 pm. Then I realized I hadn't seen her all day. I have been out all day today. After giving up and thinking I would never see her again, I looked in the house again. She was in a storage room down stairs. I don't even remember going in that room today. When there is thunder Annie is my shadow; she would not normally be in that room. She didn't bark or scratch on the door. Beau and I were very relieved. Beau helped me look up and down the road.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 12:31AM
gldno1

Helen, I am so glad you found her! I know that feeling well.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 6:51AM
ceresone(missouri ozarks)

My Daughter lost her Shih-Tzu one evening, late. She had company, they left about 10:30 PM-then she missed her.We walked up and down roads in the area, hunted thru brush and blackberry vines, till 6 AM. She went home, collapsed in her recliner--and heard her!! Someone had sat in the recliner, reclined, and when they sat back up--closed her up inside it! She was patiently waiting. I know the feeling well, as well as the weak feeling when its O.K.

Bookmark   August 6, 2010 at 9:10AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Ceresone - I never would've thought a dog could fit in there without getting broken bones. She was very lucky.
Helen I'm glad you found Annie. I bet she was wondering what was taking you so long.
We didn't get any more rain and I'm not seeing any in the forecast for awhile. I mowed almost the whole yard today. I need to get everything else caught up so I'll have time to water my plants this week. I used to have some of those Y-connectors so I could split off the garden hose but they've disappeared.

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Ozark Chinquapin(Chinkapin)
Anyone have this variety of Chestnut, Castanea pumila,...
razorback33
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks TE18MUS Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER TE18MUS
$150.00 | Hayneedle
Tybo Ceiling/Wall Light by Modiss
$504.00 | Lumens
Addison ross 15mm curved silver plated frames
Origin Crafts
Outdoor Lanterns. Infinite Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Bronze Incandescent Lanter
Home Depot
Alice Tacheny Design | Tilde Five-Drawer Dresser
YLiving.com
Jofran 941-72 9 Piece Leg Dining Room Set w/ Extension Leaf
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™