mystery plants

woodswalker88(6)June 8, 2012

hello! I started this garden last year. I kept meticulous records on what I planted. Now I have these mystery plants that I have no clue what they are!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodswalker/735236570

One of them is titled "yellow flowers' and the other 2 are the "lemon yellow" and closeup of same.

I guess one of the joys of gardening is how you never know what kind of weird surprises you'll get! I can't wait to get my handheld microscope so I can inspect these plants up close!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The 3rd one is Coreopsis. 1st one is a weed.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:49PM
woodswalker88(6)

Seriously?! Sure about that? Do you know what it's called? If not...how do you know it's a weed? I originally thought it was a survivor from last year's "wildflower mix" which produced all kinds of weird stuff.

Do gardeners ever allow "weeds" in their gardens or is that a bad idea? I thought the lemon-yellow color of this plant was a perfect offset to all the orange-yellow coreopsis and stella d'oro daylilies. I was very glad it had invited itself into my garden to fill up some empty spaces and give me some interesting color. If it's a weed, I wonder if it will come back next year!

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 4:48PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

The lemon yellow flower is evening primrose, some think of it as a weed, some think of it as a wildflower. I let it grow here and there since it does look nice and I like the height, but it's like you said, more of a filler until something better comes in. It will die after setting seed, it will set a ton of seed btw.....

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 12:58PM
woodswalker88(6)

Thanks for your info, Kato! I don't know where it came from unless it was in the 'wildflower mix' I planted in april 2011. And it waited a year to come up!

So, about 'setting seed"...that happens after the flower drops off? So if I pull off the flowers, will it live longer?
Will it come up next year? I thought I saw it being described as a biennial somewhere. So after 2 years, it's history?

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 4:42PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

When the blooms droop and fall off, the little stub that remains will become the seed pod. Picking these off might make it bloom a little longer but I never tried it.
It probably did come in your wildflower mix, or the seeds just blew in. Last summer it would have made a leafy clump, this year it produced a bloom stalk and is in the process of blooming itself to death :(
But there will be kids I'm sure!

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 5:50PM
More Discussions
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
Sponsored Products
Spathyfillum with Vase Silk Plant
Overstock.com
Silvery Blue Tulips IV Wall Art
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Backyard X-Scapes Black Rolled Bamboo Fence - 11BLACK
$72.99 | Hayneedle
Pitchfork Plant Stand
| Dot & Bo
Texas Wall Display Shelf
$369.99 | Dot & Bo