Your favorite plant that ...

jspeachyn5August 17, 2008

What is everyones favorite plants that reseed themselves?

I like my 4' clock's

Impatience

Sunflowers

Spiderwort

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bunny6(7 AR)

I like Vinca and Impatience

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 10:52AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Good topic. A new favorite of mine is celosia. Red salvia -that always blooms this time of year. I pull it up in my daylilies but let a few grow. They cover up some of the ugliness this time of year. Mexican sunflower - not many plants come up but they grow big and I have all I want. Columbine babies are coming up now. Most favorite by far: poppies which are long gone and I almost forgot.

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 12:11PM
jspeachyn5

You know helen I can't grow a poppy to save me. I try and try but never get one flower. I tried again this year after I read William's post about wanting Himalayan blue poppies. Made me want to try again. Silly me, no poppies again.
Bonnie

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 10:44PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Let's call the ones that I like peony poppies. You throw the seed out in the fall and watch for the seedlings in the spring. They are pretty when they bloom and then ugly. You have to put up with some ugly for them to reseed. Shirley poppies are another not as pretty but worth trying. If you can't grow them maybe you buried the seed or tried too hard, they plant themselves. They come up in my pea gravel path. I don't have any luck with California poppies and those you get free in the mail are like the wild ones in creek gravel - I have no luck with those.

Bookmark   August 17, 2008 at 11:53PM
missfourseasons

I love columbine! When I see those seed pods, I pop them all over the place... the more, the merrier!!

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 5:22AM
missfourseasons

OK..I just read Ann's post about her "Round Up Crazy" neighbor ... I now add Morning Glories to my list!!

Sorry, but GW wouldn't let me post a 2nd time to the same subject ....

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 5:33AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

These celosia planted themselves (click to enlarge):

Bookmark   August 18, 2008 at 4:40PM
gldno1

I love all self-seeders (except morning glories!)

I have vinca, salvia farinacea, ageratum, salvia coccinea, and zinnias.

This spring I had poppies somniferum. I agree with helen's method of growing them. Once you get them started, look out!

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 6:20AM
mulberryknob

Poppies have been self seeding in my garden for over 20 years. I also have vinca, cleome, globe amaranth,petunias, rose campion, zebrina hollyhock, celosia, zinnias, larkspur, echinacea, tall garden phlox, rudbeckia. Used to have batchelor button, snow on the mountain and nigella. Those are in the sunny border. In the shady border impatiens and columbine selfseed. Oh and I don't know if you can call it self-seeding, but tiger lilies drop those little bulblets on the stem and in 4 or 5 years the plants become big enough to bloom. Around the house in the woods lots of wildflowers self seed for me--bloodroot, bellflower, woodland phlox, tradescantia, starry campion, rue anemone, wild ginger, wild dwarf iris, blue, white, yellow and bicolor violets, wild ageratum, goldenrod. And I learned that daffodils will drop seed if not deadheaded and in a few years the young plants will bloom. The older I get the lazier I get, so I really appreciate these plants that take care of themselves.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Swans
Saw these yesterday in the field behind ours and then...
christie_sw_mo
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
Breaking up new ground for garden
I am wanting to expand my garden in a couple of years...
mission16
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Sponsored Products
50-ft. Coiled Watering Hose
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Phalaenopsis Orchid Faux Floral - WHITE
$110.00 | Horchow
Orchid Chrome Four-Light 20-Inch Flush Mount with Royal Cut Clear Crystal
$550.00 | Bellacor
Born in Sweden Watering Can - Born in Sweden
$79.95 | HORNE
Espresso Hampton Media Storage Pedestal
Cost Plus World Market
107" Red Cedar Marquis Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Menagerie Resin Rose Window Panel Holdbacks (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Vondom | Faz Bench Glossy Finish
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™