Suggestions for cutting garden in partially sunny area.

Kestrel Shutters & DoorsJune 9, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestion for cutting flowers that grow well in about 4 hours of mid morning to early afternoon sun. Ummmm....grow AND flower I should add.

We'd love to go for the English Cottage look but not sure the area we have in mind is cut out for this.

I grew some dwarf cannas last year in this year and they did bloom so I doubt the area is hopeless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you have personal experience growing in this amount of sun that would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

There are lots of plants that would flower in part shade (astilbe, bleeding heart, violets, mountain laurel, hosta, speedwells, columbine) but I can't think of many that'd be good cut flowers.

Is the shade cast by a tree, or by a building? If it's a deciduous tree, you could plant daffodils for cutting. They'd bloom before the tree leaves out fully.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 10:55PM
westhighlandblue(z6 PA)

I have dahlias in a window box that gets about 4 hours of morning and midafternoon sun. They seem to be doing very well. Hydrangea should also do well, oakleaf hydrangea is a nice native, though there is a new hydrangea which bloom repeatedly on new wood. (All other hydrangea's bloom on old wood, which is why you don't want to cut back a hydrangea.) You might also try Globe Amaranth, Foxglove, and Butterfly Bush (traditionally a full sun plant, but mine blooms in a partially shaded area).

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:54AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

There is another hydrangea that does well in shade or sun and flowers on new wood. Try looking for Annabelle hydrangea.
It can be a little floppy but only because it flowers so much.... and the white flowers really light up a partially shaded area. I think you'll like it.
how about hostas? Some have nice flowers as well as leaves that can be cut. 'Royal standard' has pure white blooms that are fragrant too. I like this one more for it's blooms than it's foliage, plus it's indestructible (unless you have deer and voles). Hey I just learned that this was the first patented hosta back in 1965!
You might have luck with a few lilies. 4 hours might be enough sun. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: annabelle

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 12:15PM
homequaker1(z6 PA)

Jim:
In part it depends on whether this is a dry or a moist area.

Some that work for me and are good for cutting: Columbines, Feverfew, German Chamomile, Black Eyed Susan.

You might experiment with flowers that are for both sun and shade.

Anita

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Wild Garlic questions
I recently bought a house that has some plants that...
melochip
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™