Devil Eating Birds

chescobob(z6b SEPA)June 23, 2006

I was looking at my roses and I noticed that one flower had about 8 devil beetles in it. A little later, I noticed a sparrow and a bluebird hovering near the flower and picking at it. The sparrow landed on the ground below the flower, then flew away to its nest behind a window shutter. Some happy babies were feasting on devil beetles.

It is the first time I saw this. I won't zap the devil beetles with insecticide now.

That is really a good feeling knowing the devil beetles are being devoured.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyberianblonde(z6 PA)

So I wasn't hallucinating!!...YAY..
I asked about birds eating JB's in the roses forum and got little response.
I had never noticed birds in the rose bushes before. But when the beetles arrived that's when I noticed the birds around the rose bushes.
Conicidence? or reason for a happy dance.
I'm so glad you posted about this.
Becky

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 6:41AM
chescobob(z6b SEPA)

Becky:

I was out working in my swamp (formerly a yard) today and I noticed several sparrows in my new 'Kwanzan' Cherry. Then I saw the devil beetles take flight from the tree. I looked and the devils were trying to swallow the tree but the sparrows were after them.

My roses are about 20 feet from the cherry tree and the sparrows then go to the roses and take the beetles out of the blooms. Sometimes they sit on a nearby rose branch and peck them. Other times, they hover and peck them. If the devils drop to the ground, the sparrows go down there and get them. After my new best buddies get a beak full of beetles, they go right to their nest and feed the kids.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 8:21PM
cyberianblonde(z6 PA)

Wow...now THAT'S high quality entertainment,Bob!!
Isn't nature somethin?
I pretty much have a no spray garden. I'm trying to attract butterflies and hummingbirds in addition to growing my roses. Not really successful so far. I think cause hubby is all about the lawn and so we have a lawn service come in and spray.
But nothing in the flower beds.
So I was really amazed to see the birds pecking at what I thought had to be the JB's.
Thanks so much for sharing your birdie story with us!
Becky

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™