Southeast PA--Zone 7?

woodswalker88(6)June 25, 2012

Greetings,

I just heard tell that southeastern PA has been "upgraded" to Zone 7?? Is this true?

Well I guess that is good...seeing as how some of the stuff I planted (and would like to have planted) is zone 7. Like those crepe myrtles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carrie B(6B/7A)

Here in the city, given the urban heat sink, I'm pretty solidly in Z 7, further north, or in an unprotected spot, etc., would more likely be closer to Z 6. This area is pretty much on the border, so your mileage may vary. The "zip code zone finders" sometimes list me as Z 6b and sometimes as Z 7a. If there's a Z 7 plant you want, try it, as long as you won't be upset if it doesn't make it.

Some people overwinter figs and rosemary around here - but a really cold winter can set back or even kill either of those plants, even if planted in a protected spot.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 11:14AM
RichardC7(6b-7a)

i live in southwest PA and ive been in zone 7 and 6 around me, for sometime

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:36PM
kimka(Zone 6B)

I know this is a little late to the party, but here is the url to the 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map. On the interactive version of the map, you can click down to about one-quarter mile scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:18AM
stimpy926

I have Z7 surviving plants along the back of my house open to full sun facing southwest, a microclimate. Otherwise Z6 to 6B in the rest, depending...as CarrieB says.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 7:25PM
stimpy926

I have Z7 surviving plants along the back of my house open to full sun facing southwest, a microclimate. Otherwise Z6 to 6B in the rest, depending...as CarrieB says.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
Milkweed in SEPA
I'm interested in planting milkweed to attract butterflies,...
annld
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™