Help! What's eating my Snapdragons?!!!

leslybgood(z5 PA)June 29, 2011

Google was no help, so I'm hoping the gardening gurus here can solve this mystery... My snapdragons are being attacked. A places say no animal will eat them because they are "toxic." Well, something is eating mine and the weird part is--it's the flowers only--not the stocks. I also had some Mexican Shellflower it didn't have a chance to grow blooms--something ate the grasslike greenery down to the base. I suspected a cat did that as my neighbor's cat is always in the front garden (moles) and likes chewing on grasslike plants (bad kitty!). I wonder if Elmer Fudd is available? :) Thanks!

P.S. I don't suspect deer as I have a gigantic garden with wall-to-wall flowers and nothing else has been disturbed (or trampled).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

did you notice any inchworms? Nicotina and petunias always loose flowers from flower eating caterpillars. They usually eat the seed pod and the bloom and leave the stalks and leaves alone.

Bookmark   July 1, 2011 at 11:48PM
leslybgood(z5 PA)

Thanks for your response, kato_b. Nope, didn't see any inchworms. It was a pretty large section of Snapdragons (about 10" in diameter) that was taken out. And, it was such total annihilation that I didn't even suspect The Very Hungry Caterpillar :) I'll give it a closer look, though.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 10:57AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

hah hah.... I should have known the very hungry caterpiller didn't get to snapdragons until Sunday and you posted this already on Wednesday!

If it was a patch of total annihalation I would blame something bigger like deer or rabbit. Or blame the neighbors cat.... cats are always up to something around here, I'm sure mischievious snapdragon snatching wouldn't be beyond them.

Or blame the neighbor! Snapdragons are great cut flowers.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 5:53PM
vaganoel_gmail_com

Exactly the same thing happened my snapdragons only this afternoon. I noticed around lunchtime that one snapdragon had been eaten right to the stalks. There was one 30com high stalk remaining on the adjoining plant and I made a mental note to check on it when I got home that evening - but when I got back it was already stripped bare to the stalk - and not a single petal or piece leftover in sight!

Like you I've checked all the websites and they all say they're not edible, or it may be bugs etc etc

Btw I live on a busy road - no deer for miles
Am now fearful for the rest of my garden - and another crop of tasty snapdragons around the other side of the house

Help!!!

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™