Greening up those yellow leaves.

subtropixJanuary 21, 2012

I have a Parrotis palm (Everglades Palm)that had leaves that looked yellowish. Figured that it was all over for the discolored leaves. Then, I read that these palms are prone to this when Magnesium-deficient, so I applied some fertilizer and added Epson salts. It worked!--I was really surprised to see yellowing leaves turning green again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Epsom salt has helped my palms through tough times! I cant say it works better than fertilizer as far as growth goes, but it seems to help plants soak up nutrients better than they would without it.
-Alex

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 2:05AM
turtile

Epsom salts is fertilizer. It contains the secondary macronutrients magnesium and sulfur. Magnesium might be more plentiful in the plant than phosphorus. It's a component of chlorophyll. Nurtients

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 9:15AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Thanks for the info. Epsom Salt is definitely a great thing to add to any plants that you want to grow well. When I use epsom salt, I usually add it around April and then again in May. Then I start using fertilizers higher in Nitrogen (depends on the plant). But I really don't fertilize as often as I probably should.
-Alex

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 3:58PM
steve_nj(7-a)

Epsom salts keep foliage of trachys & needle palms green. I use about a tablespoon per gallon of water or for larger plants, a few tablespoons scattered around the plant.

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Unknown palm acquisition
A guy in my neighborhood recently moved and left many...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Chinese fan palm suddenly stopped producing fronds
Hi, we have a fully grown Chinese fan palm in our garden....
tomdanlowe
Why can`t I find much palm varieties here in So Ca
I moved to Camarillo Zone 10 from IN, I wanted to add...
Andalucia123
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™