Wisteria Tree or Vine?

vlf4230(z6 Pa)June 2, 2008

I just picked up what was labeled as a Purple Wisteria Tree at a local plant auction. I am not familiar with the trees so I am trying to figure out if it really is a Wisteria tree or is it really the vine. I'm fine with either I just need to know so that I plant it in an appropriate spot.

The three main truncks are currently tied together and, when held vertical, reach about 5'. These main trunks can not support themselves and I will have to stake them if it really is a tree. There are also several very slender vines / tentacles that are reaching out.

Are there any features distinctive that vary from the tree to the vine? I know the label says "tree" but it so looks like thick vines and not trunks.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

Jim,
They are one in the same.
Check out link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria tree thread

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 1:33AM
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

The 'tree' is really a vine that is grown as a semi-self-supporting plant. I wouldn't expect it to continue to grow upward and support itself, like a real tree would. The growth that will come from it will be viney. If I wanted to grow a free-standing wisteria in an open location, I'd put a large timber in the ground and grow the vine on that. Eventually with some prudent trimming you'd get what looks like a wisteria trunk, but is really a timber covered, more or less, in thick wisteria vines, with a shaggy growth of vines coming out of the top. You can do the same thing with Trumpet Creeper.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 12:23PM
eibren(z6PA)

A neighbor of mine in Massachusetts used to have one of those "trees" in her front yard. It was quite old, and stood on its own. It was kept short by pruning, I guess, and flowered nicely every year. It was quite attractive, and the trunk was a bit wavy looking, but looked like it was all one trunk--probably about six or eight inches wide. It probably was several vines twisted together, though.

I suspect keeping it to size in Pennsylvania might be more of a challenge; things grow in a more restrained fashion in Massachusetts. The soil is poorer, and the climate is a bit more challenging than in PA.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™