Can you help ID these trees?

Lisa2626May 14, 2014

Hi, guys. This is my first post after many months of reading and learning.... much great information here!

There are two mysterious and kind of funky-looking trees growing near my house and I'm so intrigued with them, and want to find out what they are. One is in my neighbor's backyard, right across the fence, and another identical one is growing up from a compost pile about 15 yards to the east of the first tree. My neighbor has no idea what kind of tree his is; saying it just came up on its own a few years ago. I'm sure the one growing in the old compost pile did the same thing. I've never noticed flowers or fruit on either of them. They are deciduous and have unusual-looking green bark. My wild guess is that they're pawpaw trees, but this is probably wishful thinking since I have just ordered two of them and it would be wonderful to have two more trees to help pollinate! I'm attempting to post pics for you, but don't know how to do more than one at a time. Thanks in advance for helping solve this mystery!

This post was edited by Lisa2626 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:40

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa2626

Another pic

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:37PM
Lisa2626

Cool green bark.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:38PM
okievegan

Yes, but I can't think of the name. My mom, OklaMoni, has one.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:39PM
Lisa2626

Please let me know if you recall what it's called. The mystery is driving me bats. :D

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:43PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Saw this posted in the 'Most Recent ' column....it's Firmiana simplex, Chinese Parasol Tree.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:45PM
okievegan

Man, beat me to it....was combing through emails for the past three years. Chinese Parasol Tree.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:50PM
Lisa2626

Thanks so much! Oh dear - some quick reading shows it's considered an invasive species, too. Too bad it wasn't a pawpaw.

This post was edited by Lisa2626 on Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:53

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 7:52PM
OklaMoni

Lisa, I don't know about invasive.... there is one in the Myriad gardens, and it is beautiful.

I planted mine, cause of the now deceased Loretta (used to have a gardening column in the daily Oklahoman). She had one in her yard, and I thought it was beautiful. Yes, there were three little ones here and there on her property.... but that would not be invasive either.

Rose of Sharon on the other hand comes up EVERYWHERE in my yard, and just gets pulled out, now that is invasive.

Moni

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 7:05AM
More Discussions
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Squash Resistant to Squash Bug and Squash Vine Borer
According to Jay White at Texas A&M University,...
chickencoupe
Growing cilantro in the summer
I started some cilantro from seed so I can have it...
Cynthiann
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™