tuberoses won't bloom planted in pots

petimager(5b)July 22, 2005

I bought tuberoses from QVC .They bloomed the first year but last year didn't bloom.I thought I may have taken them out too late last year.So this year, 2005 ,I brought them up from the garage & are growing well except I don't know if I need to transplant them becuase they seem to me to be crowded. The green leaves fill the 10 " pots.Should I transplant them into larger pots. I do feed them with Hawaiian plant food you add to water especially for tuberoses . I do give them a lot of sun & water them according to instructions. Also use the plant food which you dilute with water & then feed them. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I realize it's only July 22 but 2 years ago they were bloomed by know. Appreciate anyone's help .Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fleurkat

I had the same problem. When I did some research online I learned that its very difficult to get them to bloom year after year. You'll probably have to wait until the offsets grow up.

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 7:37PM
petimager(5b)

what do you mean by the offsets grow up?

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 7:49PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

When I grew tuberoses in South Carolina I found you had to separate them yearly like you do other tubers/bulbs. The tubers/bulbs recreate by tuberettes/bulbettes (as I call them, not their technical name). Each spring when they started to emerge from the ground I would dig them up and separate the tubers/bulbs and replant only healthy ones and some of the smaller ones. I always had some that would bloom. Kind of like cannas.

There is always next year.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Help with walkway plantings!
I've done so much research and am trying to figure...
BloominOnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™