tuberoses won't bloom planted in pots

petimager(5b)July 22, 2005

I bought tuberoses from QVC .They bloomed the first year but last year didn't bloom.I thought I may have taken them out too late last year.So this year, 2005 ,I brought them up from the garage & are growing well except I don't know if I need to transplant them becuase they seem to me to be crowded. The green leaves fill the 10 " pots.Should I transplant them into larger pots. I do feed them with Hawaiian plant food you add to water especially for tuberoses . I do give them a lot of sun & water them according to instructions. Also use the plant food which you dilute with water & then feed them. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I realize it's only July 22 but 2 years ago they were bloomed by know. Appreciate anyone's help .Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fleurkat

I had the same problem. When I did some research online I learned that its very difficult to get them to bloom year after year. You'll probably have to wait until the offsets grow up.

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 7:37PM
petimager(5b)

what do you mean by the offsets grow up?

Bookmark   July 28, 2005 at 7:49PM
karen_b(6a s.c. PA)

When I grew tuberoses in South Carolina I found you had to separate them yearly like you do other tubers/bulbs. The tubers/bulbs recreate by tuberettes/bulbettes (as I call them, not their technical name). Each spring when they started to emerge from the ground I would dig them up and separate the tubers/bulbs and replant only healthy ones and some of the smaller ones. I always had some that would bloom. Kind of like cannas.

There is always next year.

Bookmark   July 29, 2005 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™