Which would you buy?

fluffygrue(z8 UK)January 15, 2006

Hm.. I have a choice of buying one of either:

Purple Rain

Victoria

Temptation

Do I get a Purple Rain and leave it outdoors over winter (meant to be reasonably hardy?) or get a Victoria or Temptation and bring them in over winter..? (Zone 8bish here.) Which is the most difficult-to-find one?

Would appreciate any advice!

Melanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romando(9b/10a , sunset 17)

Oh my! I wasn't familiar with any of those, so I looked them all up, and am totally personally smitten with Temptation! Aptly named! The others, while beautiful like all passiflora, were more common looking, I thought. But I have absolutely no information about rarity, so I suppose, in the end, follow your instinct *lol* But I personally would buy the Temptation. Here in California, it's not an issue of how hardy, but how to keep them under control! I have p. exoniensis (my favorite), molissima, giant granadilla (which could possibly become a favorite if I could get the dang thing to flower....), citrina, lavender lady, sunburst, biflora, sanguineolenta, and caerulea. Have seeds to others, but haven't sown them yet!
Amanda 'romando'

Bookmark   January 15, 2006 at 1:08PM
passionflow(8b)

Hi Melanie
Temptation is beautiful but is prone to mildew in our climate.
Purple Rain or Violacea should both be fairly hardy, Purple Rain being more so without doubt. Best time to but is Spring.
Myles

Bookmark   January 15, 2006 at 3:08PM
fluffygrue(z8 UK)

Myles - Many thanks for that, I hadn't considered that mildew would be an issue. I'll probably get Purple Rain for outdoors for now, then. :)

Amanda - Wow, very envious of your collection! I'm gradually trying less frost-hardy ones, as caerulea and Constance Elliot are still growing despite plenty of frosts. I definitely agree that Temptation's gorgeous - will see how it does, might have to keep it indoors though!

Melanie :)

Bookmark   January 16, 2006 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
lindamarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™