small water garden

janeth_50(z6MO)August 25, 2010

I want to put in a pre-formed water garden.

Should it be in full sun, shade, or half sun/shade

Janeth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

You are welcome here but there is a ponds forum. If the shade is from trees, you will have too many leaves. Even in summer in dry weather my trees are shedding leaves. If the shade is from a building or lattice it would be OK depending on what plants you want. I think water lilies want sun but some other plants may tolerate shade.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I looked this up on the pond forum and saw that you posted there also. It is true a small pond in the sun will get too hot. I have black stock tanks and in the sun they get too hot. My pond in the ground is covered in part by water lily leaves and although I consider it small, it is bigger than a pre-formed pond liner. It does not get too hot in the sun. The part about the leaves is still a consideration. After giving it more thought, I realize I have the worst trees. Walnuts and river birch. The walnut leaves are kind of nasty and turn the water brown. The river birch sheds leaves at the first sign of dry weather. So You should consider what kind of trees you have. Everyone has leaves in the fall. You can deal with that.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Speaking of Gardens
Here's my column for today, if you missed it or don't...
mosswitch
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™