Rain - - Feast or Famine!!

geoforce(z7a SE PA)July 6, 2005

After having no rain since June 6, we now have received 3 inches in 5 days. Got back from a trip to Cincinnati on Friday afternoon to a torrent of .75 inches in 20 minutes. Yesterday (Tuesday) received 1.0 inches in 30 minutes at about 3 PM, and another 1.25 inches in a 30 minute time at around midnight. Anything tall in the garden is beaten to the ground. I hope that at least some of this soaked in, but it came so fast and furious, I doubt if we got much soil recharge.

George

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturenut_pa(z6 PA)

i'll never complain about lack of rain again. heavy rains rolled thru and flattened a lot of plants. most sprung back except for a red twig dogwood that looks absolutely absurd, all splayed out on the ground. and a few of the fish were missing from the pond after the heaviest rain, i suspect that they were washed out.

3 weeks ago, lightning hit the house. we've had quite a few thunderstorms since then, and as soon as i hear the rumble of thunder, i run around the house unplugging everything. perhaps i am just paranoid now, but i really cannot recall ever having so many thunderstorms.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 12:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

We were away last, and were thrilled to come home to see the rain gauge had 4" in it!! Wahooo

Bookmark   July 11, 2005 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™