Passionflowers taking over greenhouse!!

loneroc1January 13, 2014

Not really,

But just in case they were I'm looking to "raise" butterflies in my new greenhouse. I'm thinking Heliconius (Zebra Longwings, etc) would be the most appropriate. Where do you get ahold of stock? I can't find any on-line sources that will ship. It seems that tropical butterflies are going to escape into the Wisconsin winters and then take over the world.

Maybe there are local lepidopterists that could be of help, but I'm not sure of how I would locate such a person. In Europe it seems that anyone can buy over-the-counter tropical butterflies---no prescription needed.

Thanks! Any direction would be most appreciated.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, SW WI, USDA Zone 3, but not lately.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morningloree(9b)

Perhaps you should take a trip to Florida. During the spring many of us have multitudes of Zebra Longwing Cats devouring our Passion flower vines. Of course my answer is to plant more Passion flower vines! You will find plenty of donors willing to share some butterflies or pieces of passionflower vines with butterfly eggs. Gulf Frittilaries also use passionflower vines as hosts. There is an attraction called Butterfly World that is worth seeing, too. I would happily do my part for the great tropical butterfly siege on Madison and then perhaps even parts of Kansas!

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 9:49PM
More Discussions
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
Passion flower not making flowers!
Hello all! A few years ago I bought a grafted black...
patchyjack
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™