Hardiness report for edulis and vitifolia

wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)January 23, 2009

We've gotten down into the upper 20's 3 times in scarcely a week. An advective 27 degree night, with no damage, then 5 days later another 2dvective 27 degrees....this one killed most of the vitifolia, but I have hope that most of the base plant is alive. My p. edulis "purple possum" lost only the growing tips...and then only after the 28 degree with FROST. BTW, a "black knight" I had a few years ago took much more cold than the purple possum seems able to withstand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

We hit about 26 F (maybe 27 F) for several hours earlier this month. The temp was 28 F or below for about 5 hours, 32 F or below for 10 hours, and then quickly rose to 50 F in 3hrs after it hit bottom.

'Nancy Garrison' in the ground was only protected at the very base and showed some damage to mature leaves only. Interestingly, the growing tips appear to be unaffected, and it has put on new growth since then.

'Frederick' in a large pot was largely covered with plastic, and a possibly uncovered growing tip was completely killed. Some nearby more mature leaves were damaged.

Both plants later enjoyed an unusual week of seventy degree temperatures that soon followed.

Some P. edulis seedlings from grocery store fruit in a semi-protected spot (near 2 walls and a fence and under a bench) seem undamaged.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 9:35AM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

Glad you posted, MArk. I have a seedling @ 3 feet high that was completely unaffected as well...but the large mature plant lost the growing tips and about 20% of the leaves. I can't wait to check the fruit quality of the seedling!

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 6:27PM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

I'm afraid this last round of cold will do the edulis in......but it only got down to 27......but for a long time!

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow in Southern California
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow...
annyonce
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Establishing container 'Incense'
How long should I wait before I plunge a rooted cutting...
dbarron
Sponsored Products
Lawton Aged Brass One-Light Semi Flush
$398.00 | Bellacor
Sugar Bowl Pendant Lamp
$169.99 | Dot & Bo
Hinkley Hardy Island Large Bronze Outdoor Path Light
Lamps Plus
Hardy Leather Chair - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Corkbox by Skram Furniture
$169.60 | Lumens