privet dying?

Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)July 20, 2005

I've noticed several dying privet hedges during my commute lately and am wondering... what kills privet? I know it's very sensitive to Roundup and othe herbicides, but it would be quite a coincidence if so many hedges had gotten accidentally sprayed, no?

I've got a big healthy beloved privet hedge in front of my garden and am hoping there's not some sort of disease going around.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Funny you mention this, my privet hedge had a tough time this spring.... It just didn't take off like it normally would. The leaves came out kind of on the small, dark and glossy side and later a few began to dry up and fall off. There was no big spring flush of new growth. Now it seems to have recovered and is putting out the normal growth. I don't know. Maybe it was the really dry weather? I thought I was to blame- too many roots cut during bed prep, but no, even an untouched bush looked bad.

I too though privet was un-killable. Maybe someone else knows something?
Kato

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 4:33PM
mwoods

Privets don't last forever and a lot of people make the mistake of planting a group of them all the same time rather than staggering it. Also,privets are very heavy feeders so could be depleting the soil unless they are fed on a regular basis.They also don't like poor drainage and with all the rain we have had here in Bucks County privets as well as other shrubs have had a rough time of it.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 5:38PM
bulldinkie(pa)

Mine is doing great we trimmed it 3 weeks ago but all the rain we had, we did it again this past weekend.Only thing I see is I have hedge about2 1/2'h along driveway .I have a bricked court yard like.anyway its pretty long.All grows well but this one section about 2' long.Didnt have to be trimmed this time.Im thinking there may be a rock in there.I feed mine in spring with holly tone.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 11:22PM
Pipersville_Carol(z6 Bucks PA)

Interesting responses, thanks. My privet is on a slight hill, in heavy soil, about a dozen feet away from the septic laterals. It seems to be very healthy so far, I'm glad to hear there's nothing systemic going around.

Bookmark   July 22, 2005 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
no acorns / no hickory nuts (Berks Co)
our yard is surrounded by 3 acres of woodland. normally...
woodsidetrader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™