lady margaret and miniata fruit?

passioncrazyJanuary 11, 2008

to anybody out there who might know is it possible for the lady margaret and miniata(red) to bear fruit...ive read on a couple of websites that they do but im not sure if they really do?also wondering if lady lavendar does...i know that insence does i have tons of fruit its only 1 year old....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

Lady Margaret will set fruit with caerulea or incarnata pollen, but it's often hollow or with only a handful of seeds. If you're looking for edible fruit, you're out of luck, unfortunately.

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 2:33AM
passioncrazy

thanx jblaschke...u are very helpful...not looking foredible fruit just seeds,now will lady maggie pollenate any passie?i tried to get pollen but got such a small amount very difficult.how about miniata?does that bear seed fruit?

Bookmark   January 13, 2008 at 5:16PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

I know for certain margaret & l. lady do, as i've caused it. I think with caerulea pollen, but I don't remember.
Margaret is useless as a pollinator though- At least mine was.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 3:42AM
victor_2008

You can check out pictures of my 3-yr old P. miniata plant, flower and fruit(4weeks) on my flickr page, nagwagi2000, victor. Yes it is possible for P. miniata to bear fruit...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9789339@N03/

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 9:30AM
victor_2008

Check out updates of my P. miniata fruits and seeds, pics shown on my flickr link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9789339@N03/sets/72157604477108492/

Bookmark   June 11, 2008 at 10:55PM
jblaschke(8b TX)

Well, just to clarify matters, p. miniata is a full-fledged species formerly known as p. cocinnea. Which served as one of the parent plants (along with p. incarnata) that resulted in the popular Lady Margaret hybrid.

Lady Margaret doesn't produce pollen. It can't pollenate anything. It will bear fruit with occasionally viable seed when pollenated by p. caerulea, p. incarnata and p. vitifolia. Since p. vitifolia and p. miniata (coccinea) aver VERY closely related, and p. miniata is already a parent of Lady Margaret, I'd expect p. miniata pollen to induce fruiting on a Lady Margaret plant. I haven't seen that cross confirmed, but I think the odds would favor it.

Any resulting fruit is likely to be mostly hollow with only a few seeds, however.

Bookmark   June 12, 2008 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Ruby glow
My ruby has been looking weak lately. I upped the water...
tim45z10
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
Passion Fruit Vine?
I bought this plant looking to add it to my butterfly...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Maranga Table Lamp by Marset
$682.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Hand-hooked Fruit Harvest Black Wool Runner (2'6 x 4')
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Fruit Garden Black 4' 6" x 6' 6" Oval
Home Depot
Fruit placemats, set of 6 (yellow/green)
Origin Crafts
Fire Magic Echelon Diamond E790s Cabinet Grill - E790S
Hayneedle
Kibwe Boat Bowl
$48.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™