Confederate jasmine

Lilyfinch z7 mid tnJuly 20, 2009

Hello! I purchased 2 jasmine plants from homedepot the tag said it would be hardy to 10f , and it would grow up to 20 ft tall. I have had it for a few months in a sunny location , and it hasnt grown a bit! also no blooms either, tho it looks healthy otherwise. Im wondering if it really is hardy here, as i keep reading that it is better in the south. Has anyone been growing this in their yard with sucsess? I will replace it if i am just wasting a good garden spot , though it would be amazing if it would take! thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

If you're talking about Gelsemium sempervirens, they are proving their hardiness here. They're native down south. Mine has been growing successfully through the past 3 winters with a southerly exposure, full sun. Remember, first year sleep, 2nd year creep, 3rd year leap. I'll post a picture of mine tommorrow, I'm away from my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: is this it?

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 8:25PM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Thanks paula!!! I cant wait to see a picture. I have them situated on a chainlinlk fence near my new roses and ornamental grasses. I hope to have a very fragrant area then in a few years!

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 1:53AM
earthworm(6 Pennsylvania)

Lilyfinch...these tags are indicative of what is "not as good as it should be" in our nation..
The purpose of the tag is to sell the product, using sales hype..What is not said is that plants need time to establish themselves.
Transplanting is very hard on many plants, sometimes the poor plant will not survive, other times it will sit and barely survive...for a time.
Places like Home Depot,Lowes, Walmart use this hype exclusively..
For the truth, find a good nursery..
Good luck...

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:20AM
stimpy926

Here it is

But, common names - being confusing, and should be avoided, I googled Confederate Jasmine, which I think you may mean Trachelospermum jasminoides - I planted one this spring, across the path from the Gelsemium, so time will tell on that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: this?

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 5:00PM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

Hi, Paula,
What is the beautiful blue flower at the base of your
Gelsemium?
Thanks.

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:24PM
stimpy926

Myosotis sylvatica...forget me nots - they seed in , a lot. I pull up and compost bucket loads.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 11:13PM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

earthworm- i am just learning how valuable a neighborhood nursery can be! I am only going to purchase perennials im familiar worth at the big box stores, but truthfully it is so wonderful to go to a nursery where my questions are answered with a smile and the selection is incredible!
Paula- your picture is amazing! I think you are right, i have one with tiny white flowers . I am just going to let it be and see what happens!

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 11:23PM
rivahgal(7)

I have a plant that had been in about 10 years before I figured out what to do with it. This past year I "attacked" it and it grew amazingly & up rather than out. But, it has never blossomed. It gets things that look like they should but then don't. It's has a southern exposure and the plant itself seems to be very healthy. Any suggestions? Thanks

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Need advice on digging and overwintering shrubs/perennials
We may be unexpectedly moving in late Nov/early Dec....
portia
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™