Perennial fuchsia

CarolnWbg(z6PA)July 18, 2009

Hi,

Have never had much patience with annual fuchsia, too demanding. Recently saw a lot of perennial ones at Oglebay Park at Wheeling. Has anyone here grown them? Have found a place to buy, but am not sure if it would be worth the effort.

Thanks.

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

I grew perennial fuchsias for years in johnstown. They were reliable pernnials and trouble free. I have been meaning to get one, but haven't gotten around to mail ordering. Where is your place to buy them?

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 3:23PM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

So glad to hear that they are hardy in our area. If you grew them in Johnstown they should work here in Waynesburg where it is just a little warmer.
I found 4 sources but the one I like best is Big Dipper Farm.
http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchstuff.pl?Botanical=Fuchsia
They show a variety of fuchsias and list the zones they are suited for. Think I'll send for a 'Riccartonii' since it is described as a survivor.
Thanks for your reply!!

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 10:17PM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

OOOOOPS! Looked into ordering from Big Dipper Farm. The base shipping charge is $15.00!. Am going to email Pedrick's Corner about the hardiness of their fuchsias. They ship bare root at USPS priority mail rates which are much better. Will try to find a plant that is hardy here.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 10:38AM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

Ordered 3 fuchsias today from Pedrick's Corner. Emailed back and forth with the owner and he referred me to a site where I could check the hardiness of the plants he offers. The total amount was $13.85 including shipping. Was going to tell you to email me at the address I have here if you want further info, but my address has changed. Will have to wander off and find out how to update it.

Carol

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 8:32PM
vlf4230(z6 Pa)

I bought some from dutchbulbs.com last year and one never sprouted while the other grew a few inches and died. They sent me new ones this year and again, one never sprouted and the other died after an initial sprouting. I don't know if it is the source or the variety as pretty much everything else did great.

I really would like to find some. Carol, maybe you can post back later this fall and let us know how they are doing.

Jim

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 6:52PM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

Was really excited to receive the plants I ordered. She sent 5 instead of 3! My instructions were to pot them and feed them heavily. Then, in the fall they are to be planted in the ground. They arrived in beautiful condition and are doing well in their pots. Am hoping they continue to thrive once winter comes. Have updated my email in case you have questions.
Carol

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™