Last Year Was Just a Warmup

chescobob(z6b SEPA)July 1, 2006

I never thought I would see devil beetles like I did last year but this year they came earlier here and they seem to be as bad or worse.

I clipped off all the blooms on my roses. I left some buds and now the buds look like harryshoes' photos. I am spraying a new Kwanzan cherry with water until this evening when I will apply Sevin. The devils are defoliating it. The sparrows and other birds just cannot keep up with them. They are also on my Crape Myrtles.

The worst part is that this is just the beginning. When they start trying to eat the house, I am moving.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

You are definitely making me less enthusiastic about moving to PA! Yikes! Makes all my pest stories pale in comparison.

Janet's Garden

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 3:35PM
annld(6B PA)

I was thinking the same thing today. They are everywhere! I've never seen anything like it!

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 6:25PM
chescobob(z6b SEPA)

I think it is hopeless for me. I have woods behind me and farmland all around. I put enough grub killer on my lawn to finish off Godzilla but the devil beetles keep coming.

For the last few days, I was getting bumped into constantly by these flying tanks. Tonight, I caught some buds in between my gloves and rubbed. That finished off about 10 at a time.

I noticed yesterday that they also are swallowing my weeping peach tree.

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 10:19PM
chescobob(z6b SEPA)

Today, I noticed the devil beetles were eating needles on a dwarf blue spruce and my spiraeas. I sprayed my cherry and weeping pear tree with Sevin today. I hate that stuff but it is the only way to give them a break. They both are taking a good deal of punishment from the devil beetles.

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 10:36PM
elongrad97(z6 PA)

I have out 4 beetle bags and have filled 3 thus far. Traps attracting beetles to gardnes is hogwash. On a light season, maybe. But when you look out your window and can acutally SEE your lawn moving, you know you're done for. They're here, beetle bags or not. I had to buy a fly whisk (riding crop with a horse tail) to ride with becuase the horses kick them up and they ping off of your body as you ride by. I dusted my roses with Sevin and so far they have survived. I even used grub killer on the lawn this year. No luck. Curse the neighbors who didn't! :P

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
question about weed/plant
Does anyone know what this is? It popped up in my flower...
bon_j
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
Sponsored Products
Twin 464TC Fitted Solid-Color Sheet - MODERN CHARCOAL
$41.00 | Horchow
New Oriental 100 Percent Silk 4'x6' Hand Knotted Navy Blue Kashan Area Rug H7179
BH Sun Inc
Pink Delivery Photo Frame
Classic Hostess
Commercial Electric 4 in. Recessed Brushed Nickel Gimbal LED Trim CER4742BN
$46.86 | Home Depot
Brown & Blue Mario Hand-Tufted Wool Rug
$149.99 | zulily
Set of 6 Gray Block Print Lamp Shade 5x5x4.5 (Clip-On)
Lamps Plus
Fitzgerald Leather Ottoman - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Multicolor/ Beige Rug (5' 3 x 7' 6)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™