Good Tomato Varieties For Pittsburgh

daryll40July 12, 2005

I am fairly new to gardening and have had decent luck by trial and error. I just found this forum and am thinking ahead to next year. Can someone suggest a few varieties that grow well here in Pittsburgh. One thing that I seem to have figured out is that even if May turns out to be frost free, the plants grow with no fruit. So you get top heavy plants. I think I'll wait until Memorial Day in future years. What are the easiest tomatos to grow here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nur_Misur

There is a good variety of tomato's that will grow in this area: Beefsteak, Brandywine, Super Italian Paste, Sungold,
Yellow Pear, Sweet 100 Hybrid, Better Boy, Lemon Boy, Celebrity, Roma, even Tomatilla's grow great in this region. There are more I'm sure, those are the ones off the top of my head! Hope this helps :)

Janice

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 7:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwoods

Even here in Bucks Co. many don't put out their plants until after Memorial day and even though mine went out a couple of weeks before that,ours are the same size. I would expect you can pretty much grow any tomato you want to in Pittsburg if you wait until the 31st to put them out. I love Green Zebras,many which Janice recommended,plus Celebrity..heck,any of them. But you HAVE to grow Sungold. They're like candy.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™