What the heck is this?

nowyousedum(7a)May 22, 2014

I dug 3 new flower beds last year and this is growing in one of them. Is it a weed or should I let it ride?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

It is a common weed, found almost anywhere and particularly in disturbed soil, called three-seeded mercury. They pop up all over the place every time I break ground for a new garden, and are worst in the garden areas near the woodland. They are not particularly attractive and are invasive. I yank out every one of them as soon as I see it. If you miss one, its inconspicuous flowers will set seed in the summer and next year you'll have 100 times as many of them as you have this year.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 9:27PM
p_mac(7)

aka "Pig Weed"? yep, yank it.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 10:46PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

There's a lot of things called pigweed and it drove me crazy when we first moved here and I was trying to figure out what weeds were what. One old farmer would tell me one thing was pigweed, and then another one would tell me something else was pigweed. I finally figured out we had several kinds of pigweed. We had (and still have) Palmer's amaranth, aka Palmer's Pigweed, Redroot Pigweed, SpineyPigweed, etc., as well as the Three-Seeded Mercury, aka pigweed. It is a shame I don't have pigs to whom I could feed all this pigweed, so instead, I feed the little seedlings to the compost pile.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 11:25PM
Lisa_H(7)

A compost pile is a pig :)

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 11:42PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

lol. True, but my compost pile almost never squeals or snorts and it doesn't roll in the mud either.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:02AM
TotemWolf(7 SWOK-Greer County)

You also can't get bacon from the compost pile.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 9:33AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I knew somebody would say that. Thanks for making me laugh.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 2:57PM
nowyousedum(7a)

Thanks! It really is quite pretty, but I'll yank it. Glad we're getting the rain. My peppers, tomatoes and berries are doing well, but I still have so much I want to plant. The 3 newest beds only have Rose of Sharon and Climbing Snapdragon in them. They are in need of more color!

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Classic Armadillo Thread From 2005-2013
I mentioned the thread linked below in a different...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap. February 28, 2015 When I...
duckcreekgardens
Anyone ever read the Soil forum?
Hahaha, I went over to go check out how they were doing...
Lisa_H
Row cover - best brand, where to order?
Hi everyone, I want to order some row cover. I want...
canokie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™