sun coleus and puffy pictures

helenh(z6 SW MO)August 24, 2008

I love sun coleus. All these are in big pots. Click to enlarge

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missfourseasons

I love coleus, too, Helen. I planted some in my window box. The first year I tried to keep pinching the flowers so the leaves would get bigger and thicker. Went away for a month to visit my folks and hubby was not too good about the pinching thing...when I came back home there were flowers galore and would have pinched them except I noticed the hummingbirds were swarming them...Left them after that and what a surprise I had the next year when I found out they had reseeded themselves! Guess not cleaning out the fall leaves, and my windows leaking warm air on them all winter gave them a nice winter bed to sleep in ...

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 3:09AM
gldno1

I always wondered if they truly were sunfast. They are beautiful.

Will you be taking cuttings inside to winter over?

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 5:44AM
jspeachyn5

Do yours come back each year Hellen?
I am with miss four seasons. Mine were so small looking I never tried them again.
Maybe with a heavy mulch they may come back thicker?
My dusty miller does. I mulch heavy after they get that first zap of cold. I cut them down and then pull mulch pack first thing in the spring before the rains start. Has worked for 4 years now.
Bonnie

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 9:36AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I take cuttings of the sun coleus and keep them inside over winter. They don't like temps under 50. In spring I take cuttings of those. I put them outside about the same time as impatients. The shade coleus are too cheap to mess with. I buy them in 4 or 6 packs in spring. I like the odd wavy ones and I have fun picking the colors I like. Both are easier for me to grow in big pots - I have tree roots and rocky soil and digging dogs. A few have had something eating the leaves, but usually bugs are no problem. I use Miracle Grow a few times a summer on everything in pots, but I don't really need to do that.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:49AM
missfourseasons

Bonnie: Pinch them, give them Miracle Grow, keep the soil moist and give them a nice airy potting soil and you should get some big plants. In the Ozarks summer, keep them in a shaded area so full sun doesn't hit them...They'll give you some big leaves...

Have you tried growing caldiums? I had lots of pleasure from those as well and just a colorful.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 5:57AM
jspeachyn5

Thanks Missfourseasons.
I may try them again next year.
I have used caldium. I have them in w/my hosta.
Bonnie

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 9:54AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I could go crazy on caladiums if I could keep them through the winter for sure. I am going to try again lost some last winter.

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 3:04PM
bunny6(7 AR)

I expecially like the third picture. They are so pretty! I didn't know that you put coleus in the sun. Is is a special variety? I would love to have them in my garden out front, because they have so much color. Great pictures.
Ann

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 3:31PM
missfourseasons

Helen: Even here on Guam caladiums go through a rest period. Then, all of a sudden they come jumping out of the ground. In MO, you would have to dig up the bulbs and store them over winter. Never tried doing a heavy mulch on them like elephant ears, so who knows...it might work, but just in case, dig up some of the bulbs anyway...

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 5:56AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Sun coleus are found in 3 or 4 inch pots in garden centers in spring. They are about $4 each. They get bigger than the shade coleus. If you google them you will see there are many many choices. I like dipt in wine. They have different growth habits. I collect them, but over wintering in my basement gets to be a chore if I have very many plants. They get ratty by spring. I think caladiums really like it warm. I kept my caladiums in the basement last winter. Some of them got mold and others rotted. A few survived. I kept a sweet potato (ornamental kind) dry in a plastic shoe box. It survived. I think I had the caladiums in peat moss. I may try the caladiums in plastic shoe boxes. They are s l o w to get started in the spring. Some of the rotting happen when I tried to grow them in my basement under lights.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Elderly gardeners
Dup post...didn't show up for me and I reposted...pls...
dbarron
Storms
We were very lucky and only got 1.5 inches of rain...
gldno1
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Sonora 30 in. Bar Stool - LCSNBABLBL30
$211.00 | Hayneedle
Old Havana Wall Fan by Fanimation Fans
$1,356.00 | Lumens
Sun Black 120 to 170 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$132.95 | Bellacor
Eclipse 1-Light Pendant by Troy Lighting
$282.00 | Lumens
Gama Sonic Posts Victorian 3-Head Outdoor Black Solar Lamp Post GS-94T-B
Home Depot