can my passiflora edulus vines be dying?

jmameliaFebruary 17, 2014

We planted 4 young vines 4 1/2 years ago to create a beautiful luscious hedge for our organic garden. The plants have been prolific up until a few weeks ago. There is brown leaves and the green leaves are all wilted. They are getting enough water on drip, but it looks like they're starved for water. We have had some weird weather...cold, hot, cold, hot, but I'm in San Diego. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RetiredFlorida(9)

It is stress, dropping a few leaves because of the cold more than likely. They don't like anything below 50 degrees depending on the specific plant, perhaps even 60 degrees. If it warms up, you should see new growth. I see you've been down around low 40's, so the weather is probably the culprit. I can't say for positive, but my "small" edulis have weathered low 40's in pots, so I suspect your large vine will recover. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 8:39PM
greenman62

my incarnata died last year during the summer
i never found out what it was, but it must have been a virus or something like that.
the leaves wilted just like this one. it started in one spot, and went to the whole plant.
i had another one about 20ft away that never had a problem, actually, that one took off and got huge.
if it did get cold enough , and was wet for an extended period, it could be root-rot ?
that will make it look like it is not getting enough water, but thats just because it has no roots to absorb it.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 4:23PM
jmamelia

We have decided to take these out and try something new. Will solarize the soil as suggested. Thanks for all the great feedback!

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Passiflora frederick
Looking to buy some mature P. frederick cuttings. Want...
gardenfreak
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™