Rose of sharon pictures

helenh(z6 SW MO)September 2, 2008

Click to enlarge. Please add pictures of yours.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

I love them all!

I have Diana and the double pink. I also have a very pale double pink that is just a couple of years old.

I see the June Bugs or Japanese Beetles are appreciating them too.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 6:51AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Aphrodite and the lavender pictures are from July because they have finished blooming. I wanted to show all the kinds I have. The JP beetles are gone; it is good that they aren't around all summer. Why don't you take a picture of your pale pink if it is still blooming.

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 11:36AM
caroline_2008(Z 6)

Your Rose of Sharons are just beautiful, I like the
double pink and all the rest too. I have a single pink, that is about 4 or 5 years old and a double white
just 2 years. They bloom so long and attract butterflies.
Thanks for sharing. Happy gardening, caroline

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 8:47PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Caroline get Diana if you don't have it. It is the white one; it is a sterile plant so no seed heads and longer blooming.

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 6:20PM
gldno1

I found a picture from a couple of weeks ago of the light pink double Lady Stanley rose of sharon. The whole bush pic didn't show the color or detail well, but the bloom is exactly as it is.

Also adding a picture I found of the salvia B & B. This just shows the top...it isn't quite that yellow green, but it does have a touch of yellow in the foliage color. My clump is about 3x3feet. I rarely deadhead it.

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 6:50AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I haven't seen that rose of sharon in my usual haunts. It is dainty looking. Black and blue would fit in my yard. Thanks for the ideas.

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 11:12AM
gldno1

helen, got it on sale at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago, bought two, but the other one is about 12 inches tall!

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 4:29PM
caroline_2008(Z 6)

gldmo, your flowers are beautiful, thanks for sharing.
helen, I will watch for the diana, it is sure pretty.
I have lots of flowr beds but , soon to run out of
places to plant. I have a golden spirea reblooming
and other blooms here and there. Happy gardening,caroline

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 10:14PM
gldno1

I took a couple of quick shots of my other two rose of sharons.

I think they are just seedlings from what I have, but they are different types and colors.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 4:51PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

They look good to me. The bottom one looks like Aphrodite. Do you prune yours, Glenda? Some of mine want to tip over for some reason. The white with red eye that I have was cut back drastically and it bloomed better than usual. Does anyone have a blue one? We need a picture. I am not answering your getting ready for winter post because I haven't done a thing yet.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 8:18PM
gldno1

I don't prune and really should. My double darker pink like yours is probably 10-15 feet tall. It is really like a tree with lots of trunks. I leave it that way because it is part of what I loosely call the front shrub border next to the road and it keeps my East yard very private.

I swear I had a double blue on the west side of the yard near the road, but it seems not so blue and a white with red eye double has grown up along side it.......all badly needing cutting. You can't kill them. I cut one down by the smokehouse a few years ago and it was back up and blooming by late summer. I finally removed it completely.

You have given me a good idea. I will chain saw down the ones on the west and let them regrow.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
Sorted Garden Seeds
I finally did it and am very proud of myself. I even...
gldno1
So......has any ever grown......?
Abelia mosanensis? Or Nemesia cheiranthus 'Shooting...
mocountryboys
A Sample of My Country-Style Gardening
This combo is all self-seeding annuals: Salvia farinacea;...
gldno1
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™