Perennial clearance bonanza

matriarchy(6 in PA)July 9, 2007

On Friday the 6th, I went to the seasonal clearance sale at Glick's in Oley (Berks County). It's a nice independent family greenhouse with good prices. The clearance was 99 cents on all quart perennials and 50 cents on market packs of annuals.

I arrived early at 8 AM - the normal opening time. But they don't open on sale day until 9 AM, no matter how much you whine. At least I had a good parking space. Right across the road is a daylily farm that belongs to a Glick family member - so I went over and chatted while they deadheaded. I know very little about daylilies, and I learned a lot in just a half an hour, and got help picking out some varieties to try - thinking about "Little Joy" and "Little Zinger."

http://www.manatawnycreekfarm.com/

I had to run back across the road to Glick's when they showed signs of opening up. Gotta be at the front of the line to get a plant cart! People rushed right to the back for the perennial clearance.

I was proud of myself - I actually made a few recommendations to other people from my limited experience. I bought:

Helianthemum Nummularium "Annabel"

Hens-n-chicks - maybe "Silverine"

Hypericum moseranum 'Tri-color'

Salvia officinalis "Icterina" - Golden Variegated Sage

Salvia Nemorosa "Snow Hill"

Penstemon Digitalis "Husker Red"

Nepeta x faassenii "Walker's Low"

Alcea "Chater's Double Mix"

Helenium "Mardi Gras"

2 different lavenders (unlabeled)

Achillea Millefolium "Terra Cotta"

Agastache neomexicana

2 foxgloves I gave to my mother

I got some annuals, too, to fill in the holes left as I cut back the peonies starting to show powdery mildew symptoms:

apricot-colored zinnias (goes with the terra cotta yarrow)

light yellow Marguerite daisies

blue annual salvia

more coleus

Spent less than $20. But add to that the 4 gallons of perennial salvia I got from the Lowe's $1 clearance rack -- and I now have a LOT to keep watered until I figure out where to plant! I don't want to plant anything in this little heat wave - but the temperature is supposed drop back down to the 80's by Thursday and be overcast.

Has anyone done Hollyhocks in a pot? Did they overwinter? I don't have a lot of fence area left, but I do have some porch posts they could grow against in the sun in a pot. I might containerize some other things - I could move the coleus around as I need holes filled, and give them some shade when they need a break.

Anyhow, Glick's is all but sold out now. If you live nearby, it's worth a trip next year. Especially if you follow it with a visit to the Oley Legion Diner for breakfast. Glick's has a big poinsettia sale during the holidays. Get on the mailing list and you will get postcard reminders.

--Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: Glick's Greenhouse

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rsmallen(z6 PA)

I haven't done hollyhocks in the pot..but in the ground...and they came back year after year after year and reseeded like crazy.
Robin

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 7:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missriss(6b PA)

I planted hollyhocks a couple years ago and they never came up again. My 'huskers red' penstemon is great. It does spread seeds like crazy so I got smart and cut them off this year before they had a chance to fall. I've had so many come up that I've replanted babies in other areas of the garden and even given a bunch away. I'm in York and it keeps it's color somewhat all year. I'm with you on the clearance plants! Love them!!!!

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
The Chipmunks Must Die!
Last year I asked for advice about getting rid of the...
annld
Cold hardy cacti
What are some types or perennial cacti that are hardy...
chel12vuk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™