Passiflora caerulea question

bruggirl(8b)March 20, 2005

Forgive me if I've already asked this. If I did, I forgot to tick the box to get my answer in my email. I'm in zone 9b/10a. I was recently given a p. caerulea on a trellis. I need to know if it needs sun or shade in this area, and if anyone has actually eaten the fruit. I read that it isn't very flavorful.

I'm using it to replace an edulis that was killed by hurricane Charley. Not for the fruit, especially, but for something that blooms more prolifically.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

It adores sun and water and will flower much more than edulis, over a longer period of time. Fruit is indeed sort of bland, but "tropically so".

Bookmark   March 20, 2005 at 6:28PM
leubafr(z8/9)

Do you have a picture of the Passiflora Caerulea (Blue Crown) passion flower. I just planted two of them and need to know what they look like.

Thanks, Leubafr

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 5:15PM
angiebeagles
    Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 5:14PM
kritterfarm(Z7/GA)

I just bought my first passion flower vine today and this is the one I got. I was told it was fairly hardy. I'm in zone 7B. Do you think it will fair okay if I plant it on a trellis close to my house??? Any advice would be appreciated! Thx

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 5:58PM
wilmington_islander(9A/Sunset 28)

Plant it against the south sid eof your house, if you can. This may keep it evergreen for you,,,otherwise, with a good solid winter mulch, you ought to be fine.

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 8:54PM
patsy_b(z8 Tx)

I am in zone 8 but out in the country on a hill so I get a little colder than in town. I have both the purple and white caeruleas. They have been evergreen for me for the past several years. I have seen them with ice hanging from the buds and still be fine. Mine do not get mulched and are not protected by anything. I am already blessed with open flowers as well as vines completely covered in buds.

Patsy

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 5:09AM
kritterfarm(Z7/GA)

Thanks for the advice. I'll plant on the south side of my house. I'm looking forward to enjoying this beauty for a long time!!

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
Help with Passion Flower leaves spotting
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help with my Passion...
gkblair
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™