Chinese (Kousa) Dogwoods from Seed

johnfromperrycopa(zone 6 scPA)July 8, 2007

I have quite a few seedlings (volunteers) sprouting underneath my existing Kousa Dogwood trees. What are the odds of these seedlings growing into trees with the same characteristics as the parent trees? I'm not sure if the Kousa is a hybrid. If so, I know the seedlings may not have the same characteristics as the parent tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

john, I posted your ? in the Trees forum, here's the response:

"Kousa is not a hybrid - though there are some hybrids of it and some of the native American dogwoods(C.florida, C.drummondii, etc.). But, if hers is a straight kousa, the seedlings will be typical of the species, and will be quite similar, in most regards, to the parent tree - floral show may be essentially the same - or it may be less or more showy - but she'll have to wait a number of years for these seedlings to grow through their juvenile period and attain sufficient maturity to begin flowering.
I have some seedling kousas that I grew from seed I collected, and they're probably 7 years old(if not more), with no evidence that they're inclined to begin flowering any time soon."

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees forum

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Great full shade evergreen suggestions?
I currently have china boy holly to the left of my...
BloominOnion
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
Seedless Grapes
Has anyone has any success with seedless "table"...
nick_17815_pa
Vegetable planting dates guide for 5b
Does anyone have a link to a guide for vegetable planting...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Garden Soil in N.E. Philadelphia
Wondering if anyone knows a landscaping/compost company...
Meister14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™