P. caerulea from seed

idloveamochaMarch 14, 2013

I was drawn in by the beautiful flower picture on a seed website, and bought a packet of P. caerulea seeds.

I knicked them and soaked them overnight, then sowed them per package instructions, which was 5 weeks ago. I know that it's still too early to tell if anything will germinate.

However, after reading some of the posts in this forum, I wonder if I should even bother waiting for them to germinate (IF they germinate at all). It seems that these vines do not flower the first year?

If that is true, then I probably shouldn't attempt it. There is no way that it can overwinter here, and we don't have an indoor area where I could keep the vines. So, if I start from seed, whatever plants that may grow will die in one season.

Thoughts??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

First, don't nick the seeds next time. I understand it never helps and can only hurt.

Are you sure you can't find any way to overwinter anything? I don't live in a climate with severe winters, but I understand there are creative ways to keep them that minimizes space and light requirements. Perhaps someone else can elaborate. Or perhaps you have zero possible space for any plant inside...

If you can't keep anything at all inside, there are a couple possibilities that come to mind:

1) Passiflora foetida will grow, bloom and fruit in one year, I'm told. I don't know if this works given the length of your growing season. You may be able to find seeds for postage or trade. Otherwise, you should be able to find viable seeds on Ebay. Looking at what's for sale right now, I would go with either the seller "where*the*wild*things*grow" or the seller "passiflorista" although others may also have viable seeds.

2) Get seeds or plants/rooted cuttings of a variety of P. incarnata that will grow in zone 5b, assuming that you can plant things in the ground. I'm not sure what a good source of those would be; perhaps others know. Not all varieties of P. incarnata are that hardy, and not all sellers will be honest (or knowledgeable) about hardiness. It's best to get them from a plant already growing in zone 5 for that reason.

3) Get cuttings or rooted cuttings of something that will bloom the first year and treat it as an annual. I'm not sure what would work, or what a good source would be. There are some like this where one can simply take cuttings in the Fall and bring them inside and repeat the next year. Cuttings would take less room inside than a mature plant. There are probably a number of species/hybrids that would work with this approach.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Winter care for passion flower?
My passion flower is in the ground and is growing well...
gardenbug
I am surprised
Hi, New to this forum, I became interested in Passion...
morningloree
lindamarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™