Any experience with corn meal gluten on areas other than lawns?

Lisa_Michelle(z6 PA)August 26, 2005

I was wondering if anyone has had experience using corn meal gluten on areas other than grass. I have a large area in the front of my yard that is part shade garden (that is mulched) with the remaining area covered with wood chips (no plantings). I had a large load of wood chips spread last autumn, which really reduced the amount of weeding this year. But I was considering raking up the wood chips and seed the area as a means of eliminating the task of weeding and using Round-Up (which I do loathe using) on the tenacious tree seedlings with deep tap roots. It's pretty shady, so I've been reluctant to seed for that reason. I was wondering if I could spread corn meal gluten on the woodchips as a pre-emergent treatment, as there will be plenty of new seeds just waiting to germinate next year. Or would I do better to bite the bullet, seed this autumn, and spread the corn meal gluten in the spring?

Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie_nj(z6b)

I've heard (!) that CMG in the perennial bed could cause stunted growth of the perennials. Applying the CMG this fall will not effect any spring seedlings. And, a hoe will knock down those tree seedlings easily if caught early.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 8:36AM
Lisa_Michelle(z6 PA)

Thanks for your feedback!
I've pretty much decided that it won't be too effective, based on other feedback and some info I found when I Googled it. It seems to take care of a lot of weeds that are typically found in lawns, and there isn't much promotion for it for use in other areas. The area I am working with is open enough that using a spreader would be easy, which is what made me think of CGM.

Bookmark   August 30, 2005 at 1:10PM
Hawkeye_Belle(z6 PA)

I've used both CGM and Preen. The CGM is outrageously expensive and does not work as well as the Preen. Both only control plants from seeding. Any perennial weeds will come back if not pulled up by the roots.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 2:03PM
Lisa_Michelle(z6 PA)

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll check out the Preen.

Bookmark   September 16, 2005 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Planting a Fall Garden
Hey Everyone, I was looking through the old posting...
dwoodley2010
Live oak
Hello, I may get no replies on this, but I am curious...
poaky1
Please help me identify this flower.
Hi, I'm trying to identify this yellow daisy(I think)...
Farmer
What is this little red berry?
Can someone please tell me what this little red berry...
zBernie
Harrisburg Garden Expo
Did anyone go this year? Why was it so small? Were...
the_lady_larrie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™