Passion Fruit Vine

wally_1936(8b)March 30, 2013

I received the seeds from St. Lucia in the East Indies but I have never seen leaves for any Passion Fruit plant with leaves like these have.

I just emailed my friend from the West Indies and he says this plant should start bearing fruit soon. Looks like I need to wait and see what type fruit so I can post new photos then.

I still do not have any idea what kind of plant this is as he still calls it a passion fruit plant.
Paul

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 11:18

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark4321_gw

It reminds me of a hollyhock seedling. Those seed out really aggressively.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image search of Hollyhock seedlings

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 1:00AM
wally_1936(8b)

We raised a lot of hollyhocks and the seeds do not look anything like hollyhocks. The seeds came from the East Indies and they still had some of the pulp stuck to the seeds which are round, hard and dark, almost black. So I suspect they are some type vine so will have to wait until they produce blooms this summer.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 10:55PM
mark4321_gw

Any chance that whatever came up is not from the seeds that you planted? Seeds fall into pots, and if soil was previously used it can be full of all sorts of stuff.

If your soil was sterile and there's no chance anything fell into it that's a different story.

The seeds you planted didn't look like Hollyhocks. Do the seedlings? If you are familiar with them you should be able to rule this out as a possibility.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 11:56PM
trini1trini

That looks a little like okra seedlings but I'm not sure.

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 12:01AM
wally_1936(8b)

None of the above, but they are still growing so maybe by the time our summer gets a good running start they may let me know. The seeds almost look like okra seeds but still not the same and the pulp on the seeds says they are not okra as they never have anything on the seeds as okra seeds come out dry without any substance attached plus they do not have a very smooth shell. As I said they were a gift from a member from the East Indies. So far they have not started to vine.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 10:35AM
mark4321_gw

At this point, if you are curious what they are, you should post on the "Name that plant" forum. There are some people there who are very good at plant identification.

There is zero chance those are Passiflora seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name that plant forum

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow in Southern California
Would P. Laurifolia (aka "Water Lemon") grow...
annyonce
Incarnata fruit varieties
Are there any P. Incarnata varieties that have been...
tjasko
Prepare Banana Passion Vine seeds for sprouting
There is so much conflicting info on the web. Do I...
MrsLizzyNorCal Suns17-USDA9b
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
Best Edible Passiflora source (and varieties) in SoCal?
* * I want to grow a few delicious passiflora on my...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™