Asparagus

osuengineerMay 6, 2014

This has been the best year for my asparagus yet. When should I stop harvesting it and let it go to a fern? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulberryknob

It depends on how old your crowns are, but the rule of thumb (finger) is that when the spears that emerge are smaller than your index finger you should stop. My 25 year old bed wasn't weeded of seedling asparagus as well as it should have been over the years and I pick a lot of spears half that size. I always stop about the first of June even though many of the emerging spears are bigger than my index finger.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:16PM
mulberryknob

Whoops! I told you wrong. As I was picking my asparagus this morning I realized that the rule is "Pick any spear as big as or bigger than a #2 pencil." I pick spears that are very small for the reason I stated. Many spears in my bed ARE bigger than my index finger, but that's not the rule.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 8:41AM
Lisa_H(7)

I need to grow this. Asparagus and rhubarb always remind me of home. I miss them.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 10:41AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

This seems opposite of what you would expect to be asked but what is the best way to rid the garden of asparagus. Reason I ask is my aunt had planted some in my new to me garden and its coming up in places Id rather it not be. If it continue to harvest the areas where I dont want it and do not let it fern will it eventually die off?
It does taste better than any store bought, its just in the wrong spot.

Mike

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:11PM
mulberryknob

Mike, it all depends on the age of the crowns how quickly you can kill it by picking continuosly. If they are small crowns, it might be faster to just dig it up--small meaning no more than 2-3 years old. Older than that you can eventually kill it by never letting it fern. May take more than one year.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:42PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Thanks mulberry. I believe this is season 4. Thanks for the tips.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 8:04PM
mulberryknob

Mike, I allowed people to come dig some crowns that were almost 20 years old. The ones who took me seriously about watering over the summer had theirs live. 4 year old crowns should be diggable. Maybe you can give them away for the digging.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
Pinching growing tips on tomato seedlings?
Every spring usually after I've transplanted my tomatoes,...
jcheckers
chili peppers
I am totally confused what is a chili pepper. this...
oldokie
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
What would you plant right now?
Yeah. Well. I'm impatient and I'm tired of mah brain...
chickencoupe
Ark. traveler tomato
Some one sent me a few seeds last yr. and I didn't...
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™