Crape Myrtle 'Tonto'

livelsbergerAugust 18, 2009

I would love to see pics of others crape myrtles from here in PA...please post...here is my 'Tonto,' in bloom on August 16th. This crape is 3 years old and I just love the color of the flowers.

P.S.- I am from Southcentral PA, Adams county.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tonto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
not_a_contessa(z5b S Central PA mtns.)

What a beauty. Do you think it would grow in Bedford County? I would love to have one.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 8:30PM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

Do you do anything special to get yours to bloom? I've had one for several years. It dies back to the ground in the winter, grows into a very nice shrub, gets pretty red leaves at the top but only has a few tiny blooms. Saw them in Tennessee and had to have one. Am happy with the appearance of the shrub but would love to see it in full bloom.
It lives in an area that is covered with black plastic, then decorative rock. It should be about the warmest place in my gardening spaces. Have wondered if it weren't for the plastic and rock it might just disappear altogether.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 8:48PM
karoloke

livelsberger, I came across your post online searching for Tonto crape myrtle information. Yours is very pretty! Has it grown much in the last few years? I'm looking for one that is a fuchsia or watermellon red that gets to about 12-15 feet. I am finding differing height information on different websites, so I'm wondering how tall yours has gotten. I live in the south, though, so I imagine a Tonto might grow larger down here. Do you have any more recent pictures? Thanks!

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Gardenweb MidAtl Swap May 10
Hey southeast PAers who are close to the Maryland line,...
sujiwan_gw
Has anyone seen this beetle mixed in with your japanese beetles?
I found this beetle out on my beans. Apparently, six...
bella_trix
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Need suggestions for fast growing hardy privacy shrubs.
I'm looking to plant some privacy shrubs in our backyard...
Jsc12
bamboo
Does anyone in Southeastern pa have any bamboo they...
seydoux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™