Japanese Gardens - Pics from fall festival

christie_sw_mo(Z6)September 11, 2008

I took my youngest two kids to the Japanese Fall Festival at Nathanael Greene Park in Springfield that was over the weekend.

They had music, martial arts, a kimono demonstration, tea ceremony, face painting, crafts and games for the kids, etc.

This is the Hibiki Taiko Japanese Drummers

Dozer and Dotti:

Photos from the stroll garden:

They also had vendor booths with Japanese souveniers, bonzai and other plants:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I think if you click the image below, it will play a short video with sound (if I did it right).

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 10:46AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Well it worked when I previewed it but now it won't, so maybe it's something that you would have to sign in for. If I figure it out, I'll try again. Sorry

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 10:51AM
gldno1

christie, that Park just amazes me. How I missed it all these years is beyond me. Now I see they are having daylily and hosta sales the 12th and I probably won't be able to go. Just as well since I finally got everything in the ground.

I keep hoping to find an Indian Giver daylily. They didn't have it last year, I may have to give in and pay the $10 from a nursery.

Thanks for the pictures. BTW, how old are the youngest now?

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:38AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

My youngest are almost 11 now - a boy and a girl (twins). Hard to believe so much time has gone by. It's difficult to get teenagers interested in doing family things but the younger ones still like to get out and go places - as long as I give them enough time to save their game on the Playstation first. lol

I didn't know about the daylily and hosta sale.

I think there is a garden tour for the Garden Railroad Club this weekend. My son would like that. He doesn't care for the garden part of it but he does like trains.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 12:49PM
gldno1

christie, they are growing up fast. You are right in a couple of years they will not enjoy the family outings nearly as much.

Looks like Wickman's is having a big blowout too. Their entertainment may be geared to younger children than yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta and Daylily Sales

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 1:40PM
bunny6(7 AR)

Christie-the Japanese Fall Festival looked like alot of fun. When my son was younger, we use to attend alot of festivals, but now that he is 15 he finds it boring. I miss those days.
Ann

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 4:38PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

It looks like you had a fun day. Maybe your kids are picking up a little bit of appreciation for a garden. My mother got me interested in gardening when I was a kid. We lived in San Diego and she was a country girl stuck in the city. Our lot was full of flowers. It is a good hobby - keeps you moving and interested.

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
Cold November
Accuweather is predicting a low of 12 for Monday. Brrrr Do...
christie_sw_mo
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
Rainfall ?
Hi everyone. What amounts of rainfall have you had...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™