Help! Is the seedling suppose to be this way?

plantsofheaven(PA/18088)March 6, 2006

My edulis passiflower just came up and it does not have any leaves, it is just the stem part that came up. I will show a picture if you would like. Please, if anyone has a picture of what it looks like right when it comes up please post it here or give me a link. Is it suppose to have leaves right away because how would it survive? Could it be the root that came up because the seed was planted the wrong way? Thanks everyone. This is my first seedling and would appreciated any help or tips.

Thanks

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

I'd wait, as long as the stem is green, photosynthesis is occurring. There is no way that what has arisen from the soil is the root (gravity dictates which way roots grow).

The leaves will not likely resemble mature passionflower leaves right away (well, once you get leaves). You will likely start getting tri-lobed leaves after the plant has a few non-lobed leaves.

Best of luck.

~Chills

Bookmark   March 6, 2006 at 10:22PM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

It doesn't matter which way the seed was planted- As mentioned above gravity tells the seedling which way to send it's parts.

How big is it? It should have 2 leaves when it's about an inch tall or so, but some of mine sprout & still have the 'sack' from inside the seed on those leaves so it looks like a little stalk with a brown lump on the end. Sometimes I have to slit that 'bag' with a razor to help the first leaves develope, byt be VERY careful if you ever have to do that as if you damage the plant at that stage, that's it. All over. Dead.

I'd guess tho if it's under 2" and has no leaves yet not to worry. Give it time. If you're wondering tho, here's some caerulea seedlings:

They're 3 or 4 days old if I remember right.

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 5:20AM
plantsofheaven(PA/18088)

Thanks everyone! It has leaves and I have 3 incarnata passion flower seedlings come up. I am so happy:) Thanks guys.

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
Passionflower bloom
Preciosa blooming today
morningloree
First 'Oaklandia' Bloom of the Season
From this, March, after being frozen all the way back: To...
Northbay12
Florida Collectors-Update
I ran across an old thread that was pretty informative,...
morningloree
lindamarie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™