any ripe tomatoes yet?

jennwestpaAugust 8, 2009

This is the first year that we haven't had to battle any blight or disease,but our tomatoes will not ripen.Am I jumping the gun?I hope they ripen before the blight seeks us out and wreaks it's destruction!!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

We have a few ripe tomatoes just in the last few days. Unfortunately, we also have some blight. Don't think it's the late blight that everyone is talking about because it hasn't effected all of the plants and the tomatoes on the effected plants don't have dark spots on them.
Carol

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 9:32PM
nhlivefreeordie

That cool, wet weather had a lot to do with what you are seeing, trim out all suckers, and all affected branches, the plant will improve within days. I am picking Romas, Cherries, and Mountain Fresh tomatoes now, I have had maybe 15 ripe ones so far.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 9:56PM
kr222(6b)

It wasn't until the last week or so when everything started to show signs of ripening here in zone 6b. Since you most likely got a slightly later start than us, you should be seeing those green tomatoes start to blush very soon. Especially since it is getting hotter outside. Hand in there. It shouldn't be long now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's Garden

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 9:36AM
CarolnWbg(z6PA)

Yummmmmeeee. We had our very own tomatoes for supper tonite. Well worth the wait!

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 10:37PM
More Discussions
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
Herb Shops in S.Central PA?
I seem to remember there being one along Rt. 81 an...
eibren
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Backwoods Garden
Hello all, I have been trying to Garden in the woods...
Mikie1856
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™