My Queen palm keeps falling over, was this a planting error?

newgen(9 Central California)January 22, 2012

About 3 years ago, this Queen palm was planted by my landscape person. Of the several that were planted, only this one is affected by winds. It keeps falling over. A closer look shows that the roots don't sufficiently anchor the tree. It appears that it was planted too shallow. Is there any way to correct this problem? I tried supporting it with stakes, and it's helped but what I was hoping for is for the tree to develop more roots. Is that possible? Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericthehurdler(NOR CAL 9a)

You need to keep it supported with stakes. Once it is stable it will start to grow more roots. I would also suggest mounding up some soil around the crown or base, this will stimulate more adventitious root growth. if you get some heavy duty stakes it should start growing roots by summer when it heats up.

good luck

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 12:27AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

It will definitely establish its roots once it starts rooting. I had this problem with my bottle palm and I added some more dirt and got a stake to keep it up and after about a month of summer weather it was study again.
As long as its healthy, it should have no problem getting some solid roots.
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 1:35AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I'm no expert by a long shot, but from the photo, your soil looks to be really dry and hard. Can it even root in that soil? Maybe you could remove the tree and prepare a nice, big planting hole with better soil.....something a little richer and moister and softer. Then replant, stake it for a while and see what happens.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 2:08PM
newgen(9 Central California)

Thanks for all your advice. I'll add 4 large stakes for support.

bill: the soil is not the best, but not that hard, it gets hot and dry here in my area in the summer, and wet and cold in the winter. However, I have 2 other Queen palms that are growing fine.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
Need help with my Date Palm.
hello i recently transplanted a 6 feet date palm tree/plant...
datepalmlover
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
Windmill palms for sale on Long Island, NY. 35% off till March 23rd
We currently are having a 35% off sale right now on...
ISLAND WIDE PALM TREES
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
New coconuts
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum and have an...
coconutman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™