Sick P. Caerulea

abdielgMarch 2, 2008

I have been having lots of trouble with one of my clones of

P. caerulea. The problem isn't seasonal, since I have another clone that is thriving. This clone has been producing sickly looking leaves and growing tips. The growing tips don't grow that much, and it has produced very few flowers since I have baught it. I believe the soil is very fertile, since I have a P. edulis 'Possum Purple' planted near by that has completely dominated the other end of the fence (it has even managed to get into the tool shed!). I just don't know what it could be, and I would appreciate any help from you guys.

-Abdiel G.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I have no idea but if you don't get a reply on this forum you might want to post this on "pests and disease".
Karyn

Bookmark   March 4, 2008 at 10:03PM
passionflow(8b)

I think it is just a poor clone so pull it out. I have had few caeruleas go like this over the years and it probably has a virus that could be transferred to other plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora virus

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 2:37PM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

My passion flowers that exhibit the yellow spots and dying leaves are frequently under attack by spider mites or other sucking insects. Check the bottoms of the most yellow leaves for what looks like dark dirt/dust and look for thin spider-like silk on the more tender new growth.

I find that some varieties are more susceptible to the mites than others (of which Incense is frequently defoliated unless I take precautions) while others don't seem as attractive.

~Chills

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 8:53PM
patatthefarm

Sometimes yellowing is due to calcium, or maybe iron, deficiency.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 4:43PM
poiuy704(8 B.C. Can)

My guess is powdery mildew. I get this quite often in the greenhouse during the winter when greenhouse is closed up tight and humidity and airflow become a problem. It starts as yellow spots usually on the older leaves and a week or two later the mildew spores will show on the upper surface of the leaves. You can pick off the infected leaves and throw them out or an easier way is to cut the plant back really hard (to about 6 inches with Caerulea). Give it a good shot of fertilizer and it will regrow nicely.

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Plant Passion Fruit Seeds in Comntainers
I have purchased purple passion fruit seeds for planting...
charlieboring
Oaklandia Bloom
Oaklandia blooms, has climbed up a tree to about 2...
morningloree
passiflora caerulea
I have a packet of Passiflora caerulea seed. I tried...
theodosiaunderwood
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™