burning bush's leaves are falling off

cleanqueenAugust 15, 2008

I've had my burning bushes in for the second summer now. All of a sudden in the last week I noticed toward the back and bottom of the bush the leaves are turning brown, drying up and falling off. I don't see any bugs on the leaves. Is this a fungus maybe? What could be causing this and what can I do before all I have left is just a bare bush? Last summer all of my hollys got a fungus that about killed them. I sprayed them with Mancozeb and it straightened them out. This year they are healthy, with alot of new growth and thriving. I wonder if my burning bushes have a fungus?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
motherearth2

Sorry to hear about your burning bushes, cleanqueen. I'm sorry I can't offer any help, but I feel your pain. Our Callery Pear has suffered from something this season, and is dropping its leaves super early. I can tell you we had an arborist out for a consultation, and they are very helpful at telling you what's going on with your trees and shrubs.
Good luck!

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 6:43PM
deb2(Z6)

If the leaves look like they are fading/loosing their green color and then falling off, it is probably spider mites. Spider mites are very hard to see - even with a magnifying glass. They like it hot and dry and typically the hottest, sunniest side of the plant will have the problem first.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 8:11PM
Mike Larkin

shake leaves or branches over white paper - if it is mites they will show up.
Before you take action - maybe it just needs water. Plants will react to stress as a result of drought by droping leaves. Is this in a location that has lots of sun?, is there a nice layer of mulch? It has been dry here in central PA - have you done any additional watering?

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
Success of Crape Myrtle in South Central PA
Was wondering if anyone had success in South Central...
Fern2002
spotted lanternfly found in PA - FYI
Earlier this week a few townships in Berks County were...
woodsidetrader
Evergreen Bayberry for PA (6B or 7A)
Hello, I've searched through the forums looking for...
labfm
What kind of tree is this?
We bought a house recently and I would like to know...
Pittsburgh_Amy
HAVE: planted to trade in Berks County
any one close by? check my list and maybe we can get...
woodsidetrader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™