The rain brought toadstools

christie_sw_mo(Z6)September 3, 2012

Is anyone else's yard breaking out in toadstools? I don't think I've ever had so many.

I don't have any perfect circles like some fairy rings that I've seen but it sort of looks like that. The underside (the gills) are pink on the ones I've looked at and I think they might be edible but I'm too chicken to give them a try. I may have to buy some mushrooms at the grocery store now because it's got me thinking about it and I'm craving them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I don't have any but I saw some in Joplin. I think they are pretty. Did anyone else think it was steamy today. I thought I was being a wimp until I saw the weather. It really was hot. Please buy the mushrooms in the store; we need you to survive.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 11:53PM
gldno1

I have seen a couple of small ones when I mowed recently. I finally had to mow the entire yard; the first time in a very long time. An extension person told me once they are a sign of a fertile, high quality soil.

I need to do some trimming but think I will wait until this cold front arrives.

I sure hope it brings all of us more rain.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:49AM
sunnyside1(z6/SW Mo.)

Glad to hear mushrooms are a sign of fertility. I have them occasionally and always wondered if I should just toss them in the compost bin.

What do you all think?
Sunny

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:50AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

I think they are growing on rotten wood or organic matter underground. Sunny I don't see why you couldn't put them in the compost. I think they are beautiful but I guess as they mature they may get ugly. I think it is amazing how fast they can spring up. Don't listen to me about eating them. I won't even eat the morels unless someone else picks them. If you read what the poisonous ones can do, it doesn't seem to be worth the chance.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:34AM
gldno1

Don't ever,ever eat anything you aren't l00% sure what it is!
Some can kill you very quickly. Helen, you are wise. I just got confident about morels a few years ago and I had a neighbor come check them first.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Joplin Globe column for Sunday Feb 8
I keep forgetting to post my column on here. Hope you...
mosswitch
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
my thoughts on peppers
I don't eat hot peppers but I have found that the horn...
helenh
winter gardening
How many peaple garden thruout the winter in the Ozarks?...
strongeagle
ordered seeds for cucurbita ficifolia -Shark Fin Melon
After spending some time on Gardenweb and Google doing...
christie_sw_mo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™