An annual that came through the drought well

christie_sw_mo(Z6)September 17, 2012

I winter sowed celosia seeds this spring and they sailed through the drought better than most things. I did keep them watered, but since some plants suffered or died even with water, it impressed me.

There are zinnias behind it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Those are very pretty and a nice bright color.

I have a gold celosia that I had a million of because I just dumped the seeds in a pot and every one grew. Most didn't do well because they want sun even when it is 100 degrees and mine were in part shade. The extra ones that I put in my vegetable garden looked good and attracted all sorts of little nectar gathering wasps and bees which I assumed are what they call beneficial insects. I am going to plant them in the vegetable garden again. Mine were pretty and the healthiest thing out there until striped blister beetles ate the leaves off. They recovered and are doing OK again.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 4:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Mine were attracting a lot of wasps too. I was afraid to mow near them. I don't know why but lately I've been seeing very few wasps but lots of butterflies (mostly Buckeyes) on them. I've had a LOT of Buckeyes for the last couple weeks, maybe close to a hundred in my yard at one time.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Planted some seeds
I finally got part of my plant light stand cleaned...
gldno1
Saw the first signs today......
And SOOO excited.....spotted daffodils and ornithogalums...
mocountryboys
Merry Christmas!
I hope all my gardening friends have a wonderful Christmas....
gldno1
some projects
rebuilt steps
mocountryboys
Fall Color l0 Days Ago (White now!)
Miscanthus by cellar: One of my very few remaining...
gldno1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™