Encouraging bloom?

ABQ_Bob(USDA 5a/SS 2A)April 6, 2006

I've had a Caerulea for about 4 years, and it only bloomed the first year it was in the ground. It dies to the ground in Winter, but always comes back (very) vigorously in Spring and quickly covers an archway - it's already sending up several shoots, but it hasn't bloomed since year 1.

What's wrong? It gets quite a bit of sun (SE exposure) and regular water - very active growth, but no flowers. It's in a fairly dense planting near my front door, so it's competing (successfully) with an over planting of daylillies and irises, and a lilac bush off to the side. I put it there 'cuz I thought it would help it flower to have it's roots in severe competition.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hgalindo(8B Houston)

I'm no expert but it seems like I read that passionflower vines need a little stress to bloom. That if you keep them in very fertile soil, they'll grow leaves like gangbusters but won't flower. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this understanding.

That doesn't really point to a solution but it's a place to start. I'm keeping mine potted for that reason, but this is only year 2 after starting it from seed last year, so I don't know if I'll get blooms or not.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 3:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Sunlight or bright light is what they need to bloom - the more light, the stronger the plant, the more blooms!

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
interested in breeding cold tolerant passiflora for flowers and f
Hi all. I recently moved to a cold climate and is like...
caricapapaya
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
blue passiflora vine
I planted my passiflora in a pot and intend on trying...
cateyanne
P. caerulea x loefgrenii
I realized this is basically the same mix as 'Lunametista'...
morningloree
So I have Passiflora incarnata...
and even after the horrible winter last year, it took...
plantlust
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™