Need ID help for passie vine

stephanotis_1(8b AZ)April 2, 2008

This vine was labeled as Lady Margeret, but now that it has bloomed, it looks nothing like the photos I have seen of other Lady Margerets. Any Ideas on what it could be? If pics of the leaves are needed, let me know and I can take some. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jblaschke(8b TX)

Interesting. It's got the alternating colored petals/sepals going like belotii and allardii, but those have a dark corona. x violacea 'Autopurpurea" has the same form and a light corona like this, but the petals/sepals are more uniformly pink. This is a hybrid that's been repeated many times, so there are a variety of forms floating around out there. The leaf form seems correct for this, so my guess is that you have a violacea variant.

The good news is that it is supposedly easy to cultivate. :-)

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 12:55AM
Krstofer(Zone 7 (ish))

Ya not Margaret.. As you have figured out. I don't remember what the parents of 'belotti' are- But every time you do a cross you get children who are all over the place between the two parents & perhaps even a few who might cause you to ask "Where did that come from?"

So... Yeah. I'm curious as to if it's fertile- Might get some interesting crosses from it if you choose to play 'breeder'.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 11:45AM
passionflow(8b)

I presume from your post that this is the first flower? Most likely as the plant settles down and light levels improve the petals and sepals will look more uniform. I think jblaschke is quite correct that it is one of the x violacea variants. The link shows how washed out flowers can become in low light levels with the usually purple P. 'Amethyst' flower being white.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. 'Amethyst'

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 3:30PM
stephanotis_1(8b AZ)

It had a couple of blooms on it when I bought it last year, but I forgot completely what they looked like between then and now. This is the first bloom this year. In checking out different sites, I found two candidates that look really close to mine. Let me know what you think. One is violacea Victoria, and the other is violacea Form #3.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55273/

Here is a link that might be useful: Violacea Victoria

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Where to buy?
Can anyone suggest a place to buy passion flower vines...
jwink246
maypop fruit?
Two years ago I planted a maypop outside which flourished...
simba-nj
Passionflower never bloomed in 3-4yrs
I was given a Passiflora vine about 4yrs. ago. I am...
rcharles_gw
Passiflora x 'Marijke''
Winter bloom of P. x ''Marijke:
bobich2
Corkystem passion vine grow with purple passion vine?
Ok.. I have two passion vine plants in my backyard,...
angelimperfect36
Sponsored Products
Tuxedo Chandelier by Uttermost
$943.80 | Lumens
Cassis Long Gown
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Albert Sectional Chaise
Design Within Reach
Pure Essence Design Charcoal Rectangular: 9 Ft. x 12 Ft. Rug
Bellacor
Eliot Loveseat - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture